Elevator Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
My pop up blocker didn't let me read your PM. Just go ahead and post your stuff for all to see. Are you worried that someone will make fun of you? Just let him try! You've got friends in here. I'm 57 years old, and I have found that the best way of finding things out is to confess my ignorance and ask people who might have the ability to solve the problem. Give us at least a chance to help you? ;)

Look at my post in the micro-controller thread. I'm ignorant. I'm a rookie. I'm not ashamed of that fact. I don't need to be a know-it-all. Folks have chimed in with some information to help me out. No one is barking at me or teasing me. And, by the way, a micro-controller could be used to solve this problem of the elevator easily. And in real life, that's the way it's done.

My dad -- when he was still alive -- said he would like to live his life again, but not before he was 40. At about 40, he said, you start getting it all figured out and relax into your self. I found that to be true, too. This means juvenile criticism goes in one ear out out the other, without creating any pain in my brain.

Last edited:

jegues

Joined Sep 13, 2010
I'm not going to post my work on here for all to see because there are currently other groups working on the same project. If I were to post our work, other teams may simply copy it and submit it as their own.

Both teams would recieve a mark 0 if this were to happen, hence why I'm not posting it in the thread.

If you would like to see what we've got so far, please send me a PM.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
Ahh the rub of an open forum. It's ok for you to cheat but don't want others to benefit.
I, for one, was only helping jegues think the problem through; I did not give him a truth table or a state diagram. My aim all along is to nudge the student into thinking about the problem in an intelligent way. I resent the implications of your statement in that you're calling me a cheater, too. And neither I, nor the student, has cheated at all. Nor were we going to.

I'm saying keep it in an open forum for all to benefit. If it's a contest an it just might be as other classmates are also part of this then IMO it would be unfair to them.
If the OP PMs me with his intsructors email I'd be happy to ask.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
I'm not going to post my work on here for all to see because there are currently other groups working on the same project. If I were to post our work, other teams may simply copy it and submit it as their own.

Both teams would recieve a mark 0 if this were to happen, hence why I'm not posting it in the thread.

If you would like to see what we've got so far, please send me a PM.
As you can see, blueroomelectronics brought up the question of ethics. I understand what he is saying, and I think you understand, too. It just isn't right for me to give you the solution. I can help you get to the solution, but that is all. Therefore, I prefer to keep our correspondence public.

I'm not going to outright give you a solution; and, for that matter, I'm only one step ahead of you if I'm ahead of you at all. Anyone working on this same project as you is welcome to the information on this thread and they are also welcome to post to it. and, like you, they are welcome to accept or reject my thoughts.

My advice is to post the work you have done and let the folks on this thread critique it. You wont be the first to show you're work, believe me. Most posters on this thread won't even talk to you unless you show your work. There are knowledgeable people in this forum who can actually help you. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by being sneaky.

Last edited:

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
I'm saying keep it in an open forum for all to benefit. If it's a contest an it just might be as other classmates are also part of this then IMO it would be unfair to them.
If the OP PMs me with his intsructors email I'd be happy to ask.
I agree and I insist on it. I'll not PM. All the work must be public. God bless you, blueroomelectronics. I understand your concern for fairness. I, too, am concerned about it. If I go overboard anywhere, let me know. Sometimes the angel of my better nature doesn't talk very loud. ;)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
@PRS
You can view your notifications in the control panel of your member's page.

@Jegues
I will not answer by PM to any inquirer. If you want your work commented on, post it here. The essensce of this forum is public information for present and future reference. If you are afraid of being copied, I am afraid you must find other methods of help.

By the way, either you will present a full state diagram or table, or what you do is in vein. This is the most difficult part of the exercise. It is the key to the exercise, there are no half-solutions. I too have done many attempts on your problem, but them being incoplete, I know they are worthless and decided not to post them.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
Was this an angel of your better nature or a dark angel at work? Like in the cartoons: an angel sits on one shoulder while a devil sits on the other. And they pull us both ways.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
Personally, I'm not sure where tutoring ends and cheating begins. Sometimes the best thing to do is just show them the solution and have them do a similar problem. I used to be a tutor and I learned to distinguish between those students who really wanted to learn and those who just wanted me to do their homework.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Was this an angel of your better nature or a dark angel at work? Like in the cartoons: an angel sits on one shoulder while a devil sits on the other. And they pull us both ways.
The "Good" angel doesn't make for a fun life, but I do take the tape off her mouth now and again.

I agree whole heartedly...I am a member of this students class and it really pisses me off he posted this on AllAboutCircuits as he is receiving unfair help from all of you. I sent the TA an email with this link as he requested because it is clearly unfair. We all had to struggle on our own-why cant he?
Ahh the rub of an open forum. It's ok for you to cheat but don't want others to benefit.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
This thread is locked. We have had OP's come back after obtaining an answer and editing the question into oblivion. That pretty much means something going on that was not proper, and the OP did not wish to have someone else associated with that class see that he had been helped.

If a TA is interested, he can simply start a new thread and refer to this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.