Electronic Principles Behind ABS and Engine Managment

jedethridge

Joined Apr 21, 2015
I have searched and scoured the internet for any information on this subject and I cannot find any, if someone could enlighten me on how electronic principles apply to ABS (anti-locking brake system) and or engine management in a car I would be most grateful

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Both ABS and ECM use sensors, and computer chips to compare the real time parameters to "ideal"(for that car) parameters and then control the brakes and motor/transmission to try and match them.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Anti lock brake system works similar to wheel slip detection on a locomotive, motion is compared between the input for all four sensors and ideally all will record the same rpm, if one varies (wheel lock etc) then the system performs corrective action.
In the case of auto brakes, the foot brake piston is oscillated until corrected.
Max.

jedethridge

Joined Apr 21, 2015
Thank you both for your replys, unfortunately they do not answer my question, this what I have to answer:
learners need to describe two different vehicle system applications of digital principles. It is expected that one of these will involve the application of a binary system and the other a logic system including D/A and A/D converters, as
appropriate to the particular vehicle application.

Describe how digital electronic principles are applied to
  1. Antilock braking
2. Engine management
  1. Give an example of a specific digital input and output signal used by the system.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It's good they neither of the replies answered the question because, since this is homework, YOU are supposed to answer the question. We are not here to do your homework for you.

Also note that in your first post you just asked about "electronic principles" when the question is much more specific asking about "digital principles". Quite a difference.

With what you've been told here, plus what you found in your scouring of the internet, make your best attempt to answer YOUR homework problems. We can then look over YOUR answers and make suggestions for things you might want to consider in order to improve them.