Electronic Circuit Design Advise

whalebat

Joined Aug 3, 2007
Can anyone with electronic design experience advise me what they would consider essential practical reading and design software today?

Is "The Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill" still considered an introductory text or are the other more modern books that replace it?

Any other suggestion that I might consider would be appreciated.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Is your goal to learn how to design microcontroller hardware and write the software that runs on the hardware?

hgmjr

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
Can anyone with electronic design experience advise me what they would consider essential practical reading and design software today?

Is "The Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill" still considered an introductory text or are the other more modern books that replace it?

Any other suggestion that I might consider would be appreciated.
"The Art of Electronics" is excellent.

For a free resource have you tried the "Lessons in Electric Circuits" at http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits

(* jcl *)

whalebat

Joined Aug 3, 2007
I downloaded the free books when I came across the site last night.

They are a great resource.....of course I have only browsed them, but everything I have read to date is well explained....I could have done with them years ago!

To Quote John Luciani
I have both "The Art of Electronics" and The "Student Workbook" second editions which I purchased in 1989 ( Replacing my original black copy)....I was curious if anything followed on from there with the development of computers that would be considered recommended reading?

Another great book is by SW Amos.....the copy I have has a red cover...it's probably been rewritten.

Electronic Fault Diagnosis by GC Loveday is a great small book for discrete circuit diagnosis but I think it is no longer published.....integration took over.

To Quote hgmjr
Is your goal to learn how to design micro controller hardware and write the software that runs on the hardware?

Yes, anything you might suggest I investigate would be of interest.

Thanks

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Have a look at this AAC thread in which the ATMEL's AVR micro and MICROCHIP's PIC micro are discussed.

There other threads that discuss the topic of getting started with microcontrollers in the AAC forum. This is just one of the most recent.

hgmjr