Electronic boards manufacturing, list of equipment

Vlad Vsky

Joined May 15, 2017
hello everyone

I'm intending to buy some equipment to make electronic boards, similar to a computer motherboard or a car ECU. I'm not very familiar with this field. So could anyone tell me what is the necessary equipment ?

PS: I need an equipment to make a big number of electronic boards in a short time.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Define 'big number' and 'short time'.
If this is a commercial venture you will be competing with the Chinese board manufacturing companies.
What is your budget?

Vlad Vsky

Joined May 15, 2017
Define 'big number' and 'short time'.
If this is a commercial venture you will be competing with the Chinese board manufacturing companies.
What is your budget?
I need to make at least 300 Electronic Boards in 24 hours.
The budget is unlimited. However a good cost/performance ratio is required.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
That is quite a lot of boards in short time. Unless you want to spend millions on a pcb board production line and staff, then find some company that will do it for you.
Is the 300 boards total, or a daily amount? How many boards in total?

Vlad Vsky

Joined May 15, 2017
That is quite a lot of boards in short time. Unless you want to spend millions on a pcb board production line and staff, then find some company that will do it for you.
Is the 300 boards total, or a daily amount? How many boards in total?
300 Boards is the total number in 24 hours, i mean it's the extreme case. the minimum would be about 200 Boards.
Indeed there are companies which can provide me with this quantity, but the shipping cost will be huge. So i prefer to spend money on the production equipment rather than shipping.

JSCV

Joined Oct 3, 2015
Shipping cost will by no means outweigh the cost of the equipment and factory space you need to produce decent boards.

do you intent to run 1 specific board, or all different layouts ?
- where do you intend to house this equipment?
- multiple layers ?
- what kind of plating
- min pitch. / line spaceing

etc etc.

you should own a cleanroom do be able to produce a resonable board with fine pitch layout.

Vlad Vsky

Joined May 15, 2017
Shipping cost will by no means outweigh the cost of the equipment and factory space you need to produce decent boards.

do you intent to run 1 specific board, or all different layouts ?
- where do you intend to house this equipment?
- multiple layers ?
- what kind of plating
- min pitch. / line spaceing

etc etc.

you should own a cleanroom do be able to produce a resonable board with fine pitch layout.

I will be making at the beginning only one type of boards.

I'm not sure i need a clean-room similar to the one intended to electronic components production. I'll be just making PCBs then soldering components.

If you're wondering where will this equipment be housed, ... it's a new factory, no space limits.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
300 boards in 24 hours is your production rate.
What is your total production over 1 year?
What and how many will you be producing in 5 years, 10 years?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
There are several Youtube videos showing PCB manufacturing facilities. Search on Youtube for 'circuit board fabrication'. That will give you some idea of the elaborate processing equipment needed.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
For making the PCB itself, start here:

Many companies like this will be your competitor. Then either design and have made a couple of PCBs yourself, or hire someone who has done it before. You will need the knowledge to understand how the industry works.

Here's one on populating PCB's:

Last edited:

Vlad Vsky

Joined May 15, 2017
300 boards in 24 hours is your production rate.
What is your total production over 1 year?
What and how many will you be producing in 5 years, 10 years?
I'm not intending to run this project for 5 years, it's actually more like an opportunity, i need to make and sell the max quantity even if it will be only in one year.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
So you want to fabricate the PCB itself, and then mount the components and do the inspeciton and testing? My guesstimate is somewhere around a 5-10M USD investment.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you were to make and populate the boards yourself you would also have the hassle and expense of getting official certifications re EMC, safety etc. before you could sell them.