An electron (mass m = 9.11E-31 kg) is accelerated in the uniform field E (E = 1.31E+4 N/C) between two parallel charged plates. The separation of the plates is 1.08 cm. The electron is accelerated from rest near the negative plate and passes through a tiny hole in the positive plate, as seen in the figure below.
(Figure is just an electron between ideal capacitor plates)
With what speed does it leave the hole?
-----------------
I understand that force = Electric field x charge of the particle
I assume that the charge is going to vary as the electron moves away from the negative and towards the positive plate, which tells me I should use calculus and solve it as an integral?
I do well in calculus but I don't understand how calc will help me solve for speed in this case.
My professor doesn't have office hours until long after the homework is due, and "doesn't use any form of electronic communication". (Yes. This issue will be brought up with his supervisor if it continues.) I appreciate any conceptual help you guys can offer.
(Figure is just an electron between ideal capacitor plates)
With what speed does it leave the hole?
-----------------
I understand that force = Electric field x charge of the particle
I assume that the charge is going to vary as the electron moves away from the negative and towards the positive plate, which tells me I should use calculus and solve it as an integral?
I do well in calculus but I don't understand how calc will help me solve for speed in this case.
My professor doesn't have office hours until long after the homework is due, and "doesn't use any form of electronic communication". (Yes. This issue will be brought up with his supervisor if it continues.) I appreciate any conceptual help you guys can offer.