electromagnetic field and how it interacts with batteries

AggelosPap

Joined May 24, 2018
I work for a water providing company and a problem occured considering a 13.2v battery! Normally the bat. should work for a period of 3 years at least but it went almost dead in about 2 months.The bat was stored for an other 2 years at the storage, without putting it to work.What could be the reason that the battery went almost dead in such a small period of time?could electromagnetic fields interact with the life period of the bat?

AggelosPap

Joined May 24, 2018
Last edited by a moderator:

avayan

Joined Oct 30, 2015
Can only think of two mechanisms: One, the battery was defective and through a leakage path it discharged at a faster rate; two, the application was stuck in a mode in which it drew too much current, taking the battery quicker than anticipated.

Can't think of how a magnetic field would cause massive discharge, albeit I am not a magnetic field expert. I do know massive magnetic fields can wreak havoc on electronics but this is because the magnetic flux lines will become currents as they cross conductor lines, which can increase the system voltage to the point of exceeding maximum ratings (this is the premise of an EMP). But the electromagnetic field would have to be insane! Not to mention it would have taken the electronics far quicker than the battery.