Electric (hybrid) vehicle accumulator

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
My brother working in car electronics business told me that modern day garbages namely HEV - most of them have one and the same problem - after few years of exploitation the batteries becomes old and permanently empty. Thus, his top boss was ordering for own HEV (by ebay) a certain USA firm "wonder apparatus" what "will renew that battery" of some 200V and 10A for so laughfully small money as 1000 USD.

When it arrived, it more than logic never was able to work, so it became on the table of brother, who after opened realized, that inside is slightly altered ATX computer PS with output of 1A 200V and nothing else.

So I begun to drill in my mind, probably there is the free business niche for cheap 200V 16A CC/CV SMPS~es???
How is Your experience with those shameless electric hybrides? Do they indeed has so weak batteries with the cost identical of whole vehicle cost, so the potential buyers may wait in a queue??

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
OK, thanks, but as far I understood, they operates the damn old lead acid batteries or those second generation the NiCd or Metal-Hydrid bateries, thus the lithium is just the future until now?
Simply I personally need a trustable car able for thousands of miles distance (like any Diesel), therefore I never had owned anything rolling on batteries needing a 10 hours recharge once at each hour of driving. So, I rather foggy visualize what is inside it stomach.
However I remember well the oldies goodies when Stalin was just dead, so all car batteries then was permanently dying in 10-15 years time-span down and down, thus the recharging was the main way to start any engine without of "curbulus" - the hand-crank. Nowadays batteries are dying in one kilometre, flash-like instantly. I drove to supermarket - all was briliant inspite of 10 years old battery, then crossed the inner yard to another door, it still was okay, but after 5 minutes for going away, the battery was so dead, that even radio was not functioning alone.

Last edited:

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
...The battery failures which you have mentioned may be due to dendrite growth across the space in the battery between the electrodes. If that is the case, then either something important has been left out of the battery ... a porous separator layer maybe ... or they are being severely overcharged. If overcharging is the cause, then the charging voltage should be checked to see if it is correct.