Electric charge flow problem

uzair

Joined Dec 26, 2007
A diagram in my book illustrates a metallic bowl.A stream of positive charges is thrown upon it and the bowl becomes positively charged.Then another stream of electrons is bombarded on the bowl.According to my book,the positive charges will be "replaced" by the electrons.But my knowledge says that it will not be the case.I think that electrons will just nullify the effects of positive charges.What is your opinion?????

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
A stream of positive charge is a rather interesting concept: on an atomic level it means that the atom is ionised through the absence of an electron(s) in its outer-shell. Therefore if you spray a stream of electrons on the bowl positive will attract to negative and they will recombine with the positive stream by assuming the position of the absent electrons. Therein you have the positive charges being replaced by negative charge.

Dave

uzair

Joined Dec 26, 2007
A stream of positive charge is a rather interesting concept: on an atomic level it means that the atom is ionised through the absence of an electron(s) in its outer-shell. Therefore if you spray a stream of electrons on the bowl positive will attract to negative and they will recombine with the positive stream by assuming the position of the absent electrons. Therein you have the positive charges being replaced by negative charge.

Dave
You mean that the stream of positive charge can not exist in reality?In the book,it is quoted that first the bowl becomes positively charged and then it becomes negatively charged due to electrons.Is it possible?:eek:

Gizew

Joined Nov 29, 2007
yes there are no positive charges in real. we mention them in the abscence of electrons. And what you said is mean that the positive charges replaced by negative charges. simply elctrons means negative charge carriers!