Electric Cars

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I know Electric Cars are Type 1. Charger and Type 2. Charger.

Type 1. Charger Plug into a Standard 120 VAC 15 Amp Outlet and will give a Set Driving Time.

And Type 2. Charger Plugs into a Standard 240 VAC 20 Amp Outlet and will give more Driving Time.

And the Port on the Car is Type 1. Plug or Type 2. Plug.
But the other End that goes into the Oulet is a Standard Plug.

Am I Right on any of this?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I know Electric Cars are Type 1. Charger and Type 2. Charger.

Type 1. Charger Plug into a Standard 120 VAC 15 Amp Outlet and will give a Set Driving Time.

And Type 2. Charger Plugs into a Standard 240 VAC 20 Amp Outlet and will give more Driving Time.

And the Port on the Car is Type 1. Plug or Type 2. Plug.
But the other End that goes into the Oulet is a Standard Plug.

Am I Right on any of this?
No. Everything is available on Google.
Any car can use either type of charger. A type one charger connected for a long time gives just the same range as a type 2. Driving "time" is not important, it is range minus hills, accessory power, air conditioning/heat, weight inside the vehicle, ...

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Well I Watched a Video on YouTube and they Say Type 1. Charger You can use a 120 VAC Outlet but it it will take Longer to Charge the Car.
But if You use a Type 2. Charger You can use a 240 VAC Outlet it will Charge the Car Faster.

So if You use a Type 2. Charger and the Car will be Pluged into a 240 VAC Outlet how many Amps must the Outlet be Rated for?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I do not have an Electric Car I just was Watching Videos on YouTube.

And they Say You can Plug them into a 120 VAC Outlet in the USA but will take a Long Time to Charge.
They Say You should use a 240 VAC Outlet in the USA and it will Charge Faster.

This is what I am Asking is it True?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I do not have an Electric Car I just was Watching Videos on YouTube.

And they Say You can Plug them into a 120 VAC Outlet in the USA but will take a Long Time to Charge.
They Say You should use a 240 VAC Outlet in the USA and it will Charge Faster.

Yes. Most specify a 48 to 50A, 230v outlet, Tesla needs 60A for type2, 230vac tap. Much faster (think of the power), about 11.5kW. Now compare to a 120v, 20A outlet (2.4kW). Which can deliver more power?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
In round numbers, Yes.

The power available from an outlet is its voltage times the current rating of its circuit breaker. So for the same continuous current rating, a 240 V outlet *can* charge up something twice as fast as a 120 V outlet. It can do this, but will it? No. In reality, for the same level of charge delivered to the car, the 240 V outlet will take a bit more than 1/2 the time of the 120 V outlet because of inefficiency in the charging system.

ak

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
In round numbers, Yes.

The power available from an outlet is its voltage times the current rating of its circuit breaker. So for the same continuous current rating, a 240 V outlet *can* charge up something twice as fast as a 120 V outlet. It can do this, but will it? No. In reality, for the same level of charge delivered to the car, the 240 V outlet will take a bit more than 1/2 the time of the 120 V outlet because of inefficiency in the charging system.

ak
I think you are ignoring the fact that a Level 2 charger is rated at 50A and 230V. And you are comparing a Level 2 charger to a residential outlet (120v at 15 or 20A). In reality, a level 2 charger can communicate with the car that it can deliver 50A and the car then draws up to 50A (charging multiple groups of cells at the same time instead of a limited bank if cells with 120v 15 amp charge. A level 2 charger can deliver about 5x the power of a standard outlet.