Eleclub

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Me and my partner, Byron, started an electronics club today, in our university. There wasn't one and representatives of IEEE's student branch encouraged us to found one.

He had mounted an announcement about the first meeting and to my surprise, 20 people showed up, throughout all the semesters.

The beginners were vaguely interested in cool electronics projects but had no idea even what a uC was. I assured everybody that there will be tutoring and that we wouldn't build anything that we didn't previously know exactly how it worked.
I guess I 'll be replacing some of our professors soon. Why wasn't there such a club when I was a freshman?

I presented some basic projects to get us started and split us to groups. I wanted to get an arduino in almost everyone, as it's valuable experience. We will build a LED cube, a POV LED display, a web interfaced RC car and Rritesh's natural interface robotic arm. Thanks for the idea Rritesh!

I guess there will have to be some tutorials about PCB etching, perfboard soldering and uC programming first, though.

We set up a domain name and a host service to have a dedicated forum to discuss the projects. We really had a dynamic start. I hope it lasts.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Good work Geo. I am putting together a web page to get people started on learning to program and work with a Freescale MC9S08QG8. I can probably do the same for Atmel AVR. I will pass the links on to you.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
What both of you guys are doing... is incredible.

I'm sure you'll both inspire and educate many hundreds if not thousands of people, making electronics more 'accessible'.

Thank you in advance from me.:)

Sparky

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
We plan to make the forum private, since we will probably share some SOPA unfriendly links. But the content will be in Greek, so there wasn't much to gain to begin with.

I 'll be sure to upload any projects we make in the Completed Projects Collection, though.

The funny thing is that I have sworn to myself to never become a teacher/professor and I always find myself tutoring people. Damn!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Why is it I get the feeling your new club will use AAC a lot?

If you do people who haven't joined could use a suffix on their name. Something appropriate in Greek, like GUG (Greek User Group). A user name might looks something like Username.GUG, that way you guys could recognize each other while online here.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Bill, are you a psychic?

I don't want to tag, people, let them use whatever they want. I will contact them on regular basis, so I think I 'll learn their nicks (after I learn their names, I 'm terrible at that).

I don't think that many will register. But I already know I 'll refer to your PCB guide soon. The new power supply thread will also come handy. They can see images without logging in, can't they?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Yeah, I figured it out. it's site-global. Tested it on IE. Almost every forum on the web does the same too.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There is always someone who wants something for nothing, then will claim it as their own. Just the way of the world.

Like we point out now and again, registration is free and relatively easy.