Earthing of appliances with conductive cases

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I dealt with Substations several times and motor control centers often. Can't remember if the plant primary was 14,400 or 9,600 but the transformer substations typically had 1200A primary breakers and 480V 400A secondary feeders in a panel room inside the locked chain-link fence. Never had one blow but had a contractor cross-bolt a new 400A feeder phase to phase and trip on energizing. I was not allowed to do it and had to have one of our plant electricians do it and thank God it didn't blow. Got called in one night after a project I put in with several VFDs had one fail. Shift electrician and I went over it and couldn't find a problem other than it was tripped so I told him to power it back up. He energized it and the substation primary tripped! On a 3HP 3Ph 480V motor drive! Took out 3 operating areas for about an hour until they could get it all back up and running smoothly. Later I split that substation up by adding a new one to take half the load off of it.

patmcf

Joined Nov 24, 2015
Old aluminum cased 1/4" drill. If you used it one hand it would only tickle you a little bit unless you put your other hand onto the piece of metal you were drilling. Dad finally 86ed that deathtrap.

I still have an old metal-cased drill. I removed the power cord. I keep it because it's old & it reminds me of my dad.

Rich2

Joined Mar 3, 2014
I took 2 phases out at a shell garage 20 odd years ago. The electrician gave me the wrong type of MCB for the panel and it shorted 2 phases and popped the main incoming fuses. A Bang and a flash confirmed it. :) luckily the pumps were on the remaining phase and still worked.