E cigarette contradiction

michaellatini

Joined Sep 2, 2014
Hello all, I am new to the group and first time posting. I have an electronic cigarette, called, Itaste VTR that allows you to set either the voltage or the wattage. It states in the owners manual that you may set the wattage to a maximum of 15.0 watts. You may set the voltage to 6.0 volts. You may use an e cig coil between 1.2 to 3.0 ohms.

From what I know a 1.2 ohm coil set to 6.0 volts would be 30 watts drawn. I have checked the output voltage without a load and it does put out 6.0 volts.

Am I missing something in my interpretation of the manual?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Michael Latini

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have checked the output voltage without a load and it does put out 6.0 volts.
I think a measurement without a load is probably not relevant for many circuits. Hard to tell without a schematic.

The manual is probably correct that your proposed settings at 30W would not be supported. I would say the power rating trumps all others, and that you are free to use any volts, ohms combination that does not exceed 15W.

MagicMatt

Joined Sep 30, 2013
Batteries have an internal resistance that limits the amount of current they can put out. I would think if you were trying to drive a 1.2ohm load, the voltage drop from the cell(s) is going to pull it down significantly from 6V, maybe to nearer 3V... you need to measure the voltage under load really.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Lithium batteries (as used in eCigarettes) can easily support the 1.2 ohm load without dropping that low. It only needs to pulse on for 2 to 3 seconds a few times per minute while the user inhales.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Lithium batteries (as used in eCigarettes) can easily support the 1.2 ohm load without dropping that low. It only needs to pulse on for 2 to 3 seconds a few times per minute while the user inhales.
Usually I use my homebrew 18350 battery and the lowest resistance heads I can get, recently I bought a KIK ego with 650mAh battery so I have an emergency spare - that battery only lasts a couple of hours of intermittent use, it starts off pretty sharp but doesn't take long to start drooping very noticeably.

My set up is single cell (3.7V) into 1.8 Ohms - 6V into a similar resistance must be pretty hard core kit.

michaellatini

Joined Sep 2, 2014
Usually I use my homebrew 18350 battery and the lowest resistance heads I can get, recently I bought a KIK ego with 650mAh battery so I have an emergency spare - that battery only lasts a couple of hours of intermittent use, it starts off pretty sharp but doesn't take long to start drooping very noticeably.

My set up is single cell (3.7V) into 1.8 Ohms - 6V into a similar resistance must be pretty hard core kit.
Yes 6 volts would knock me down! I was just wondering at the time of the original question if I was understanding the owners manual? :)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Yes 6 volts would knock me down! I was just wondering at the time of the original question if I was understanding the owners manual? :)
With a power control; the unit could well have switch mode technology - maybe even as fancy as a buck-boost converter.

Even with just a basic boost converter, a 3.7V battery can be used to generate 6V or more.