Dumb question from newbie time !

clayjay

Joined Jan 9, 2009
Can someone explain this to me please (see attached JPG). I have a wiring diagram of a transformer (1) and the pin layout of the transformer itself (2). Now looking at the diagram I would expect continuity between A+B+C on one side and D+E on the other, but what I am getting is continuity between A+E on opposing sides and B+D again on opposing sides with pin C dead. Can someone draw how this is connected inside to explain how this is working.

Attachments

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If the transformer is connected to other devices, while taking measurements, you may get wrong results. However, I believe the continuity test is right and that pin C is not connected to anything. Where did you find the diagram?

clayjay

Joined Jan 9, 2009
No it's a step up transformer. It's like the tiny ones you find in Cameras to power the flash and it isn't connected to anything.

Forget about the wiring diagram for the moment, can anyone explain why I would be getting continuity diagonally on opposing sides rather than on the same side?

Alberto

Joined Nov 7, 2008
If it is a step up transformer, this make sense. traying to have the biggest distance between low side and high side.
The non connected pin, very likely is the copper foil shielding primary from secondary and must be grounded.

But naturally are all supposition.

Alberto