Dual power supplies hooking to car amp... Please help

Sav

Joined Aug 8, 2018
I want to power a car amplifier here at my house.

(Yes there are other methods such as a car battery, but I really wanted to try this idea and know if it could work.)

I was going to get a server power supply to power it, but the supplies are normally rated to put out about 100 amps. I was wondering if it’s possible to use two power supplies at once to power the amp.

The thing is though, the wires from each supply would be touching inside the amplifier terminals. Does that mess things up? Can I still get double amperage? Some people also said that if you run two connected like this, that one supply takes a huge load while the other doesn’t take barely any. I just want to be able to hook two supplies up to my amp and get double amperage. Can I just shove the wires in there? Or will it screw with the supplies ?

Any responses are much appreciated.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
What is the amplifier in question? More info is needed.

100Amps is a lot of current. In a car, the power would be 12V (really just under 14V when running) x 100Amps = 1200Watts.
If you ran that real power in a car you would damage your ears, and probably other parts of your body too.
And to want a couple of 100Amp power supplies to run a car amplifier is, "unusual".
Do you mean your car amplifier is 100Watts?
Just remember, the power rating of most amplifiers have an advertising factor, usually something like real power multiplied by the number of LEDs on the front, and an added factor if it is anodized black.
Take most car amplifier ratings with a sack of salt!

Sav

Joined Aug 8, 2018
What is the amplifier in question? More info is needed.

100Amps is a lot of current. In a car, the power would be 12V (really just under 14V when running) x 100Amps = 1200Watts.
If you ran that real power in a car you would damage your ears, and probably other parts of your body too.
And to want a couple of 100Amp power supplies to run a car amplifier is, "unusual".
Do you mean your car amplifier is 100Watts?
Just remember, the power rating of most amplifiers have an advertising factor, usually something like real power multiplied by the number of LEDs on the front, and an added factor if it is anodized black.
Take most car amplifier ratings with a sack of salt!
My amplifier is mono and has a fuse rating of 200 amps, and I’m using it for testing subwoofers with very large amounts of power. All I want to know is if the two power supplie’s wires are touching (while in the terminals) if that will screw something up or is that okay and I’ll get double amperage. Don’t worry about my ear damage. I just want an answer lol