Drone Question

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Watching this video reminded me to ask this question. This has often occurred to me about video from drones.

This video.....shows surveillance of some "forest people".

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7079324/drone-footage-amazon-jungle-tribe/

My question is this......are drone platforms that stable? Or are there camera and software stabilizing techniques being used? Is raw video from hobby drones that stable.

Or maybe stabilizing is built in cameras now?

Or is rotor control that fine and quick? For hobby drones?

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Hmm.. this was a brazilian government drone flying deep into uncharted jungle so it must have flown perhaps at least a 100km ,that would mean it was very big to have that range , probably it was lighter than air (helium) as well as powered and not the normal RC drone we are used to ...

Anyway it would have been big , and hence stable to film from , fairly immune to random gusts of wind ,and also a few hundred meters up the air is less turbulent than at ground level ... even so the pictures still looked jumpy to me , and low quality ...

General rule is the bigger, the more stable a platform ... I'm not sure if stabilizing is commonly employed in RC drones , I doubt it

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I was walking along a path in a park when it was getting dark. I saw a light but didn't see the light pole. It was a little hobby drone and it had perfect stability. Its owner was not controlling it, instead he programmed it to be stable. Maybe it had GPS.

OU812B4

Joined Aug 3, 2018
Yes to all of your questions.. :)
Some use software in the camera...some use hardware around the camera.. some have GPS for the drone... some have pressure sensors,etc...

Wind will obviously effect the smaller ones and the same level of stability is simply not possible like the larger/heavier units but some can be quite steady now..

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Thank you, I have often wondered. Let me ask another, the video sent back, is it an analog stream or more like an internet packet?