Driving high power PMDC motors with STM32

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
As you know, STM32 pins work with 3.3V. I have a DC motor those used in treadmills which are usually rated from 1 to 4 HP @90-130 VDC. In order to control its speed using PWM technique I will require either a MOSFET or IGBT which can stand those paremeters, a power mosfet/igbt of course. As STM32 voltage is 3.3V, I don't know if that voltage is suitable to drive the gate of the mosfet. So, are there logic level power mosfet? I was also looking into gate drivers as TC4427 and ISO5500 but don't know much about them.

What would be the ideal procedure that I should follow to effectively drive that power transistor with PWM from STM32?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
What would be the ideal procedure that I should follow to effectively drive that power transistor with PWM from STM32?
A couple of things to look at..
You need to make sure the high motor currents do not flow via the STM32 power supply common. Have the motor FET switch return run directly to the power supply filter with as short a wire as you can. The electronics can connect to the FET 0V point, "T" ing off it so the motor current does not flow past the STM32 and driver inputs. This helps with stability.
And ensure good power supply bypassing with bypass caps as close to the driver chip as you can. And connect the electronics with short wires. Good heavy wire for the motor. NO BREADBOARDS ;)

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
A couple of things to look at..
You need to make sure the high motor currents do not flow via the STM32 power supply common. Have the motor FET switch return run directly to the power supply filter with as short a wire as you can. The electronics can connect to the FET 0V point, "T" ing off it so the motor current does not flow past the STM32 and driver inputs. This helps with stability.
And ensure good power supply bypassing with bypass caps as close to the driver chip as you can. And connect the electronics with short wires. Good heavy wire for the motor. NO BREADBOARDS ;)
Yeah, but what about the drivers TC4427 and ISO5500? Which one is more suitable?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
The TC4427is by far the easiest one of the two to use. But if you want opto isolation, go with the ISO5500.
The ISO5500 looks pretty complex to use but the isolation is a good feature.
I have not used either so cannot speak from experience.