Doubt about ESCs

Rimbaldo

Joined Jun 6, 2016
Hi! I want to control a 24V BLDC (mini spindle) at max 6A I´ve got with an ESC (electronic speed controller), used in RC drones, planes, cars, boats..

I know some ESCs have forward/reverse settings, acceleration settings and so on, and some can be programmed to tune it´s settings

My doubt is.. as they´re made for flying, and not to control a spindle, can an ESC have it´s speed set to a minimum desired (I could control it with an arduino) but also mantain high torque (high currents) to prevent it from stopping when facing an attempt to stop it´s shaft from spinning? In my case, close to 6A ? My goals are to vary it from 2.000 RPM to 40.000 RPM.

I tried this BLDC controller I bought over aliexpress.com

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-...32684492208.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.BA98S5

And although it worked, at lower speeds it doesn´t mantain high torque (currents don´t raise before stopping, I can stop it with my fingers,at low speeds), so it doesn´t suit my needs..

Does an esc try to sustain torque if at lower speeds I try to stop it´s shaft from rotating, by increasing its current? I could control the max allowed current with an arduino also. Can it be programmed to do so?

Thanks for reading!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The ESC's I have used in model airplanes do increase current to compensate for load. In fact, if the propellor is too big and you pull the airplane into a steep climb (as we do when launching powered sailplanes), you can "puff" a lipo battery by drawing too much current. I use primarily controllers from Castle Creations. I have no experience with Aliexpress controllers.

Almost any electric motor will loose some torque at very low rpm. Apparently, with sensorless BLDC motors that is more of a problem. Just checked Castle Creations. It has a line of sensored motors that are supposed to give better torque at very low speed. Two thousand rpm is not what I consider particularly slow, though.

As for setting a maximum current, I don't recall that as a setting, but my controllers are several years old. You might want to check the specifications for a newer controller. Finally, model controllers may require accessory (e.g., forced air) cooling when used indoors and for long runs.

John