Don't know what it's called. (Mystery wire wound component)

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
I have a dead CPU power supply. I have no idea what this is called and used for.
Seems like inductor to for smoothening the current... Still idk .. please someone tellIMG_20190222_222044.jpg IMG_20190222_222019.jpg
I tried googling but found nothing.

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
Looks like a simple single coil choke in the AC line.
If it had four wires it would be a common mode type
Max..
What if i connect this in series with the output of full bridge rectifier with capacitors in parallel at dc output? Will that be useful to get close enough straight line dc output. Or i have to use inductor for this.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What if i connect this in series with the output of full bridge rectifier with capacitors in parallel at dc output? Will that be useful to get close enough straight line dc output. Or i have to use inductor for this.
Look up PI (∏) filter, consists of two capacitors and a series choke.
Max.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
So it means for smoothening purpose ferrite core inductors are used?
For 50Hz - 120Hz a laminated iron core is a good choice.
In a switched mode supply, where the ripple might be 50kHz - 500kHz ferrite is a better choice for the core of an inductor. It is used for the power transformer in such a supply and also for the output filter(s).

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
For 50Hz - 120Hz a laminated iron core is a good choice.
In a switched mode supply, where the ripple might be 50kHz - 500kHz ferrite is a better choice for the core of an inductor. It is used for the power transformer in such a supply and also for the output filter(s).
I'll be using this setup to power tesla coil. Driver circuit is having different power source, this will only power the primary. So will it cause any problems with the resonance frequency of coil?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
How to calculate capacitors or any capacitor with high voltage rating will do... I have 4700uF and 3300uF 50V lying around, are those helpful is this? And my Transformers' output is around 38.5VAc
The rectified output from that transformer will be up to 52V so you need at least 63V rated capacitors.

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
Okay, this is what i made using that choke.
Used the 50v caps and on the output i got 49.2Vdc. Earlier when i was having the same setup but without choke i was getting 46.5Vdc... anyways the Transformer is also made by me , so I just need to unwind couple of turns of secondary to keep voltage under the caps rating.

Thanks all. You guys are awesome

IMG_20190223_233143.jpg

Attachments