Dog barking / Sonic barking deterrent device

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
We have inconsiderate neighbors who let their dogs bark all day. Though having asked them on numerous occasions and after having sent the police there numbers times the problem persists. My wife bought a sonic dog barking deterrent device that operates on 9 volt batteries. There is no power out there; so I'm wondering if I put a 12 volt solar panel up, could the panel be used to keep a rechargeable 9 volt battery charged without having to build a regulator?

I'm sure low current during cloudy days or late evening sunshine or early morning indirect light will drop the output of the panel, but at peak hours, I'm hoping the panel would charge the battery sufficiently. The device can operate for about a week on a fresh 9V battery, so it's not drawing much current at all. I'm sure a solar panel of sufficient size would charge the battery enough to keep it going through the day. What other things do I need to consider? Things like "Low voltage output from the panel" and whatever else I haven't thought of?

Keep in mind, I'm wondering if 12 volts would harm the 9 volt rechargeable battery if left charging too long? Would I need to build a limiter or regulator of some sort?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It'll depend on the maximum current the solar cells can put out in full sun. If it's too high, you could use diodes to drop the voltage at the battery.

Too bad about the dogs. A bark collar would be more effective, but that would require owners who cared.

I know because over the past 20 years, my neighbors have had half a dozen dogs and it seemed like they were always in my yard (rural area, 5 acre lots with no fences). But the barking at all hours of the day, and night, and chasing neighbor cats (mine are smart enough to hide or go in the garage) does get annoying.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
We have inconsiderate neighbors who let their dogs bark all day. Though having asked them on numerous occasions and after having sent the police there numbers times the problem persists. My wife bought a sonic dog barking deterrent device that operates on 9 volt batteries. There is no power out there; so I'm wondering if I put a 12 volt solar panel up, could the panel be used to keep a rechargeable 9 volt battery charged without having to build a regulator?

I'm sure low current during cloudy days or late evening sunshine or early morning indirect light will drop the output of the panel, but at peak hours, I'm hoping the panel would charge the battery sufficiently. The device can operate for about a week on a fresh 9V battery, so it's not drawing much current at all. I'm sure a solar panel of sufficient size would charge the battery enough to keep it going through the day. What other things do I need to consider? Things like "Low voltage output from the panel" and whatever else I haven't thought of?

Keep in mind, I'm wondering if 12 volts would harm the 9 volt rechargeable battery if left charging too long? Would I need to build a limiter or regulator of some sort?
You can buy 9 volt solar panels and 9 volt rechargeable batteries. Have a look at ebay.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Thought about diodes. But then if the solar power drops to - say - 10.5 volts and I've used four diodes (dropping about 2.4 volts), that'd drop my output to 8 volts.

I guess I'm wondering two things: First, how much voltage can be applied to the electronics in the sonic deterrent, and how much trouble can an over-voltage be for the battery.

To be honest, I WOULD like to gain a little range on the device, so I'm imagining that if I push a little bit more voltage through the circuitry the sonic transmitter would have just a little more range, would be just a little bit louder.

I DO understand the inverse square law that says if I want twice as much volume I need four times the power. So a little more voltage isn't going to result in much gain at all. Still, I'd like to squeeze out every little bit I can. At the same time I don't want to destroy my device.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
The bark-off device is intended to be used in short-timed bursts. Keeping it constantly on may cause it to overheat and prematurely fail. Consider using a sound trigger or a motion trigger to turn the bark-off on for a short period of time (use a 555 timer).

BTW, what is your electronics skill level?

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
http://myskunkworks.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=87
130dB ultrasonic dog deterrent.

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/supplie...og-bark-control-device-13823.html?cgid=100125
The dog bark detector, hack to use as a sound trigger

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beams-Wir...UTF8&qid=1489420806&sr=8-16&keywords=mr+beams
Mr. Beams motion detect LED light. Use the LED wires as an input to trigger the timer

There are amazing blogs and plans on this site regarding the 555 timer, make one to trip a relay on for about 3-5 seconds.

I promise you the dogs will get the message...When they bark, their ears will hurt for a moment.

Do not place the transducer closer than 6 feet from the closest point where you mount it (follow the instructions), if you injure the dogs or cause them go deaf, you may be in for a visit to the courthouse and/or a large vet bill. Do not use this on menacing dogs.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I guess I'm wondering two things: First, how much voltage can be applied to the electronics in the sonic deterrent, and how much trouble can an over-voltage be for the battery.
I wouldn't worry about either, as long as the panel is not oversized. The current that a 12V panel can drive into a 9V battery would be quite a bit less than whatever the short-circuit current rating is. Since your device can run so long on just one battery, that means the panel can be pretty darn small. Worst case, you could add a shunt regulator to dump excess current when the system voltage reaches a preset level. It just requires a zener, a transistor, and some resistors.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The bark-off device is intended to be used in short-timed bursts. Keeping it constantly on may cause it to overheat and prematurely fail. Consider using a sound trigger or a motion trigger to turn the bark-off on for a short period of time (use a 555 timer).

BTW, what is your electronics skill level?
The device is sound activated. It's an all in one package. At first it will chirp for a moment. If barking persists it chirps a few more times (you can't hear it but you can see it on a scope). If barking still persists it goes into a long term chirping and can last for up to 10 seconds. If barking still persists it repeats this highest level of training.

The device is mounted 8 feet above ground so it can sound over the fence, and is no closer to the fence than six feet at the shortest point. It's rated to cover 50 feet. Yards are typically 75 feet, so I'm not getting full coverage but so far it seems to be doing the trick. Dogs are barking less when it has a good battery in it. The thing is that when you activate it - it may take a few days for the dogs to learn not to bark. I'd have to go out days ahead of an out-door event and put a fresh battery in it.

As far as my skill level goes, I'm pretty good with an iron and able to build a thing or two. I've done some digital designing and I've done some code writing. I've repaired TV's, radio's, amplifiers, and I'm sure some other stuff. Just yesterday I made a shunt resistor for my neighbors car. His ignition key chip sensor (senses the presence of a 3.75KΩ resistor) but the wires broke. So we bypassed it. Now any key that will turn the ignition will start the car. Otherwise the car would not start at all.

After having given the matter some consideration I believe I may not only add a charging system but also a night silence circuit so that the dogs can bark at night if they need to. Typically they don't bark at night, so if there's a good reason for barking I'd rather have them "Speak Up" so to say. So if the light level is low enough the system will shut down for the night and awaken with dawns morning light. They most frequently bark around the time kids are going to school and coming home. Since there is a local elementary school and a junior high, there can be considerable traffic during the day - and that's when they make the most noise. But they also sit at the fence and bark between them. One dog (Chubs) will sit at the fence and bark at the other dog (Dax). They'll do that for hours if you don't yell at them, and my neighbors don't seem to mind them barking. One neighbor is hard of hearing the other is just dense in the head. That's why talking to them and calling the police has done no good. Even fines from the dog warden have done very little.

As far as bark collars go - they're supposed to be used infrequently. Not longer than 12 hours at a time, and one of my neighbors who also has a big dog can be gone longer than that at any given day, so I'd rather not be shocking the dog just because it barks. If the sonic deterrent works then great. If not - well, I'll figure something out.

[edit] I don't believe in punishing a dog for having a bad owner. I'm not a fan of bark collars but if that's what it takes to train a dog there's a time to bark and a time not to then I'll accept that.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Sonic is best as it doesn't require neighbor participation, but having said that; the collars do work. Many years ago we had a dog that would bark non-stop at the fish camp when my left to go fishing at 4am, until he got back. Needless to say this was not OK, so we got a zap collar. After a couple days with the collar, it didn't even have to be turned on anymore. If the dog was wearing the collar, he was quiet. But that won't help with neighbors that won't participate.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I don't believe in punishing a dog for having a bad owner. I'm not a fan of bark collars but if that's what it takes to train a dog there's a time to bark and a time not to then I'll accept that.
The collars don't have to be set high enough to hurt the dog; and I don't think they could be set that high (PETA...). The dog just needs to learn what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. Once the dog has been trained, the intensity can be turned down until it doesn't need reminders. When the desired behavior has been learned, it can be turned off.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Mr Software & DL324:

I agree. Once a dog learns - that's the goal. Dogs bark because they don't have good leadership. It takes an alpha to teach a dog there's a time to bark and a time not to. I had a dog (Cinnamon) who would not let anyone in the house unless I told her she was a good girl. Once she was pet and told "Good girl" if I let you in you were 100% welcome.

Funny thing: If kids came to the door she had no problem. In fact, there were trains of children racing through my house from front to back and Cinnamon would just sit there on the fireplace with her paws crossed and watch as they rushed through the house without a word (bark) from her. That's because she keyed in on my mood and demeanor. If something upset me she was upset as well. If I was calm, OJ Simpson could run through the house and leap over the couch. Well, not that that would ever happen.

The point is training a dog as opposed to shocking it. I DO like the idea of turning the collar off. The dog doesn't know the difference between a switch in the on position and the off position. And yes, as long as the dog gets the message. The problem is that these offending dogs don't have strong leaders. In fact, the kids at one house tease the dog into barking. I tell yeah, sometimes I wish they'd hit the lottery and move to Hawaii.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Lottery and luck are my closest companions. Odds of hitting the lottery and the odds of getting hit by lightning are about the same. My luck I'd win the lottery and on my way in to cash the ticket - I'd get the lightning too.

Honestly, I just want them to go away. But then who'd move in next? COULD be worse. Maybe I'll hit the lottery and send my wife in with the ticket. If she gets the lightning I'll get the insurance. (Dough!)

PLEASE PLEASE! JUST KIDDING. I respect her too.

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
Should there a battery in this setup - There was an idea to interrupt the "whistle" at night?

So it's just a solar cell panel that is large enough to provide enough power entirely from the sun arrives in the east and it's gone in the west?
There must then be either a series or shunt regulator to limit the voltage.

A little calculation gives some surprising numbers:
9 Volt PP3 battery, 500 mAH, 1 Week, 24 Hours
500 / 7 / 24 ~ 3 mAmp
3 mA * 9 V ~ 27 mWatt

0.5 Watt, 12 Volt solar cell panel, with a 9V1 or 10V Zener diode and 100 uF Electrolytic Capacitor is my suggestion for a solution.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
the TS plans posted publicly on this site, the authorities have documentation of intent.
I think the OP still on the right side of the law. I'm under the impression that the OP is going to use a commercially available product. As long as he uses it unmodified and for it's intended purpose, it would be legal.

However a modified product that "intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causes physical injury to an animal" would be a Class B Misdemeanor with a fine, in my state, of $2000 and/or imprisonment for up to 6 months.

Animal abuse might be permissible in the UK, but it isn't in most/all parts of the US. That said, in certain situations, it is permissible to kill dogs in my locale; but it still has to be humane, i.e. can't poison food.