Does variable resistor do the same as a potentiometer?

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
The potentiometer usually has three connections as you are probably aware. If you connect the wiper to either of the other two connections you have a variable resistor with two connections. You can also use the potentiometer to provide a variable voltage, from the wiper, with a reference voltage connected across the potentiometer. So strictly speaking they don't do the same thing but you can use a potentiometer has a variable resistor. I hope that makes sense? ;)

stanman11

Joined Nov 23, 2010
The potentiometer usually has three connections as you are probably aware. If you connect the wiper to either of the other two connections you have a variable resistor with two connections. You can also use the potentiometer to provide a variable voltage, from the wiper, with a reference voltage connected across the potentiometer. So strictly speaking they don't do the same thing but you can use a potentiometer has a variable resistor. I hope that makes sense? ;)
Not to much, the Var Resistors I have, have 3 pins and so does the pots I have.
I was playing with them and the pot seemed to reduce a little power while the resistor barely let any power go through.

Austin Clark

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Not to much, the Var Resistors I have, have 3 pins and so does the pots I have.
I was playing with them and the pot seemed to reduce a little power while the resistor barely let any power go through.
It seems like the only difference in your case are the resistance values then. They're the exact same but with different resistance ranges.