Does anyone recognize this part? (Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is useless to test a diode with an Ohm meter, the range does not offer sufficient current to FWD bias it.
This is why there is a diode test range that actually imposes a voltage in order to Fwd bias it and measures the volt drop across the diode.
ALL of my ohm meters give different readings for the different connections to a diode. That includes both analog and digital meters. Andif the device is not a diode they will give a similar reading in both directions.
So an ohm meter test will be able to show if some component is NOT a diode in that manner.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
On my Fluke and other various meter I have used, the resistance range with a diode shows identical each way, so that theory does not hold up.
If I am in doubt, I use the Diode test range!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
So, out of curiosity I did some testing on 1N4148 signal diode. All the meters I have close to hand do indicate a measurable resistance when forward biased and an overload when reversed.

All measurements in Ω function, with auto ranging. Note that manual range selection changed the value causing lower readings in lower ranges. Measurement of the voltage used in the ranges shows an substantially higher voltages at lower ranges. For example the Siglent used ~2V in MΩ but ~4.9V in KΩ. I chose to use auto ranging since that is the naïve option.

MeterBiasIndicated Value
Fluke 287forward273KΩ
reverseOL
Fluke 101forward.692MΩ
reverseO.L
Voltcraft VC-330forward1.814MΩ
reverseO.L
Siglent SDM 3055 (two wire)forward.273MΩ
reverseoverload
Siglent SDM 3055 (four wire)forward.273MΩ
reverseoverload

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
Looks like a computer fan, or some other basic fan system. The more simple setups use thermistors, the more complicated or finer/accurate controls use diode.

What PCB does it attach to? The components on that PCB will likely tell the story of if diode or thermistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.