Does anyone know what type of cable this is and where would I order one from?

Riskinit

Joined Jan 28, 2022
I am looking for a male to female cable (the shorter the better) that connects these 14 pins (7x2). Does anyone know what type of cable this is called and where would I order one from?

pin_cable_connector.jpg

Thanks for any guidance.

Last edited:

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
That looks like it could take a 14 pin ribbon cable; one male end, one female end. What none of us can know is if it's a 1 to 1 hook up or if something like "pins 3 & 4 cross" or if other pins cross or if other pins cross. We also don't know if all 14 conductors are necessary. It doesn't need to be a ribbon cable either. It could be some sort of 18 or 20 gauge cable. Exactly were to order one from - anyone can guess. Unless you know the purpose of the two interconnects it's just going to be guesswork.

Riskinit

Joined Jan 28, 2022
That looks like it could take a 14 pin ribbon cable; one male end, one female end. What none of us can know is if it's a 1 to 1 hook up or if something like "pins 3 & 4 cross" or if other pins cross or if other pins cross. We also don't know if all 14 conductors are necessary. It doesn't need to be a ribbon cable either. It could be some sort of 18 or 20 gauge cable. Exactly were to order one from - anyone can guess. Unless you know the purpose of the two interconnects it's just going to be guesswork.
It is a 1 to 1 hookup. Both pieces fit together as-is but I am looking into creating a smaller sized unit.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Certainly it will work with ribbon cable connectors and some ribbon cable, BUT there is a caution in that it looks like one side is keyway up and the other is keyway down. So it will be very easy to get the connections reversed. And since it appears that the one board is intended to be component side down and the other component side up, you will need to verify that the connectors are properly oriented on the cable.
I have had to deal with that in the past, when unknowing people got it wrong and destroyed a $1500 circuit board.

Jim@HiTek

Joined Jul 30, 2017
Here's one like it. Note that the tabs can be ground off. And the pin arrangement needs to be checked first. Other than that, let 'er rip!
Back in the day, I used to make small interface boards with male 2 X n or female 2 X n and then wire them as appropriate. That way I'd be able to use commercially available ribbon cables with sockets like the one in the link without much trouble.

Last edited:

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Definitely the male pin connector is keyway'd. You don't have to use the keyway, but if you DO get it backwards - Oops. Could be ending this thread with "Well, the magic smoke leaked out. Game over." However, from the picture it isn't clear whether the mating female receptacle is keyed. Maybe it is - maybe it isn't. A picture to clarify would be helpful. But in my mind I still don't have any confidence to say it is this cable or that.