Does anyone know what consumer product transmits @ 1.881 GHz?

Ian_Gibson

Joined Jul 27, 2019
It's all in the title really. I live in an apartment and I'm getting a signal coming through the floor from below at this frequency. I'm pretty sure it's not a wifi extender - my understanding is that would be 2.5 GHz. I wonder if it might be a cordless phone? I just don't know. I've been trying to find data on commonly used frequencies, but progress has been slow. If anyone knows the answer, or can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Obviously I could simply ask my neighbour, but we're not on good terms at the moment. (It appears I have transgressed, but I'm not sure in what way - you know how it goes)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

1.88 GHz to 1.91 GHz
FCC ID Applications By Frequency.
ITU # 9 - UHF Ultra high frequency – TV broadcasts, microwave ovens, mobile phones, wireless LAN, Bluetooth, GPS, and Two-Way Radios (300-3000 MHz)

Lower Upper Details
1850 2000 This band is used in the Advanced Wireless Service (AWS - 2), the Broadband Personal Communications Service (PCS), the Cable Antenna Relay Service, the Fixed Microwave Service, the Local Television Transmission Service , and the TV Broadcast Auxiliary Service. Operation of unlicensed Part 15 Devices is permitted between 1850 and 2000 MHz.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
The frequency you give is pretty specific. How did you determine the frequency? What is it doing to you? What is the signal interfering with?

Ian_Gibson

Joined Jul 27, 2019
The frequency you give is pretty specific. How did you determine the frequency? What is it doing to you? What is the signal interfering with?
I bought a meter that measures rf and electric fields. I live about 300 m from a mobile phone mast and being in a block I can see about a dozen wifi signals on my laptop. So (tin hat on) after seeing a video by a scientist called Magda Havas on youtube about possible effects of electrosmog I thought it would do no harm to look at my home situation. In the event there was no need to worry about background rf, other than the cordless phone that lets off a ton when in use. I decided also to stop using wifi. One of the things that did surprise me was the electric field underneath my laptop. While looking at sources of electric fields, I checked behind my chair at the wall socket, but I had accidentally switched to rf mode and I got a strong signal. At first I thought it was coming from the socket, but further inspection showed that it was actually coming from the floor. It peaked at about 12 vs background reading of ~0.9. It also dissipated rapidly beyond an area of a few square inches. So that's where the figure of 1.881 GHz comes from.