DoE to phase out compact fluorescent light bulbs (and low efficiency LED bulbs)

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
=======
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/19/politics/led-cfl-light-bulb-rule-biden-climate/index.html

=======
Biden administration moves to phase out compact fluorescent light bulbs and push market toward LEDs

The Biden administration is unveiling a new proposed rule that, if enacted, would effectively phase out compact fluorescent light bulbs and move the US light bulb markets decisively to more energy-efficient LEDs.

The Department of Energy is proposing the rule on Monday with the aim to finalize it by the end of President Joe Biden’s first term. The rule would more than double the current minimum light bulb efficiency level, from its current standard of 45 lumens per watt to over 120 lumens per watt for the most common bulbs. The details of the proposed rule were shared first with CNN.

Last edited by a moderator:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
This formerly under the EPA. I am saddened by the thought of all those incubating eggs in LED incubators that will never hatch. The Lumens per watt is commonly referred to as luminous efficacy in the lamp industry but outside the similar term, "efficiency" is sometimes used.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
This formerly under the EPA. I am saddened by the thought of all those incubating eggs in LED incubators that will never hatch. The Lumens per watt is commonly referred to as luminous efficacy in the lamp industry but outside the similar term, "efficiency" is sometimes used.
And Cupcakes in easy bake ovens. Alternatively, incandescent bulbs could be sold as "heaters" - no crime in that.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I have electric heat, so saving a few watts a year on the few cfl bulbs I still use is kind of a joke.
I'm sorry to hear you are using electric heat. How about air conditioning? Every watt saved in creating heat from incandescent bulbs is saved double because you don't have to fight that bulb generated heat with AC. Not a joke.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
No reason to be sorry, I save money because of the easier zoning allowed by having electric heat.

The only room in my house with air conditioning is my home office, no incandescent lighting there.