Documentaries watched today and a few thoughts

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
This morning I watched part of an Einstein documentary and wasn't able to watch the rest of it because I had to go to work. When I returned home after work today I viewed the rest and it was quite moving. So after that I watched a Tesla documentary and I'm not ashamed to admit that I was moved to tears on several occasions during the course of that one. Here was a guy that came to America with 4 cents to his name by the time he got here and ended up changing the course of civilization for the better. Yet, he died basically broke and would have died penniless had it not been for Westinghouse's guilt after Westinghouse manipulated him out of his patent rights years earlier. At any rate, I learned a bit more about Edison in that documentary and discovered what a heartless bastard he was. Tesla's AC generators went against the Edison DC investments so here's Edison electrocuting an elephant to death claiming that this is how dangerous Tesla's AC was. It was a sickening thing to watch. By the way, this message comes to you via Tesla, not Edison. Those thoughts aside, does anyone know how to tune two antennas in order to resonate at the same frequencies? If so, I'm all ears... er, eyes!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm not really a fan of Tesla or Edison. The 'real' Tesla was a brilliant engineer who improved some basic devices into practical applications and had useful patents not a scientist who discovered new facts about electricity. His latter ideas of wireless energy are mainly crack-pottery from his almost total ignorance of the current electromagnetic theory of his era (and was totally out of sync with what we know now) that I believe lead to his downfall as the science of electricity passed him by while he denounce the real achievements of men like Hertz and Maxwell.

As for Edison, that documentary sounds right on target.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The quote I remember was something like, "Edison was a tireless self promoter".

Aannd...tuning 2 antennas to resonate at the same frequency merely requires that you physically build them both the same. There are ways to make 2 different designs work at the same frequency, but you did not name any particular shape or frequency of antenna.

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
The quote I remember was something like, "Edison was a tireless self promoter".

Aannd...tuning 2 antennas to resonate at the same frequency merely requires that you physically build them both the same. There are ways to make 2 different designs work at the same frequency, but you did not name any particular shape or frequency of antenna.
Thanks for the helpful response! I didn't name any particular shape or frequency of antenna because I don't know much about this yet. However the response you gave me will now allow me to experiment further. Being a guitar player I know that if I hum a D note just right a tuned D string on the guitar will vibrate. Just the same as if two guitars are near one another and I pluck one of their tuned D strings hard a D string on the other guitar will vibrate. I've got a whole host of ideas and thoughts but little knowledge as to how this stuff works... but I'm learning! ;)