Do you remember the electronics of the 80's?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I just accidentally found this.

If you remember the electronics of the 80's, that link is a treasure trove of nostalgia, on par with the site that has all of the Radio Shack catalogues of the 70s. Even if you don't, you might find it fascinating. The technological advancement in what feels like a few years is mind-blowing.

It's really amazing.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The technological advancement in what feels like a few years is mind-blowing.

It's really amazing.
Even more so when you start out in the era of valves and transition through transistors- IC's etc.;)
Although my first project was solid state in a way, a Galena cats whisker radio.!!
Max.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I started out with tubes because in the 70's the old stuff we could get cheap and free was hollow state.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One of my most arduous projects was building a Valve tester, the hard part was rewinding a transformer to cater to all the different cathode heater voltages!:eek:
Max.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am probably younger than you guys.
I am now 59 years.
When I was on the techincal school, I made a circuit with all TTL IC's for testing tv sets.
It consisted of 30 TTL chips and created a patern on the TV.

Bertus

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When I was on the techincal school, I made a circuit with all TTL IC's for testing tv sets.
I recall saving up for my first IC (singular!), I seem to remember it cost 10 shillings, I don't even want to know what that would be in today's money.:eek:
Max.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I still treasure my copy of the Sept., 1975 Issue #1 of Byte magazine. Ancient history, still fun to thumb through from time to time...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Even more so when you start out in the era of valves and transition through transistors- IC's etc.
When I took tests for my FCC license in the mid 70's, there were only a couple questions with transistors; everything else was tubes. My classes barely covered tubes...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I still treasure my copy of the Sept., 1975 Issue #1 of Byte magazine. Ancient history, still fun to thumb through from time to time...
My first feature story was in Byte. I read it as a teen and got a chance to write for it later.

Did you ever read Kilobaud?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello,

I am probably younger than you guys.
I am now 59 years.
It consisted of 30 TTL chips and created a patern on the TV.

Bertus
You are just a bit older than me, but that makes you senior, sir.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Started by ripping TVs apart and reclaiming parts. Then started a lot of SW listening,
around 1954, then 1956 or so started studying for Amatuer Radio license. Got a Heath
DX40 for birthday same year, built it, then family situation blew up so wound up not
getting license. (got it finally 6 years ago or so). Still just listen.

Went thru ET class in Navy, became a Reactor Operation SSN-583. Left Navy 1970 and
started school. Was building music synthesizers out of MSI TTL, some RTL. In school
1972 given a 4004, and manual. Read several nights the manual trying to figure out
what good was it, and a revelation happened I will never forget, the idea of reprogram-
ability of electronic systems. Loved processors ever since.

Rest of career semiconductor manufacturing, test and product engineering, then sales
for a while and finishing many years as an FAE.

Retired and still learning, love it.

Regards, Dana.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Started by ripping TVs apart and reclaiming parts. Then started a lot of SW listening,

Retired and still learning, love it.

Regards, Dana.
I was an SWL too, I loved utes particularly. Got my ticket later, in the 80s. I still love radio, but it's not the same when you have six or more radios in the supercomputer in your pocket. Don't get me wrong, I love my phone, but I miss HF and think it is being lost to our determent. It is the simplest, most reliable way to communicate and the world is forgetting it.