DIY Vending Machine A to Z HELP needed

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the coin mechanism is a lot more sophisticated than just droping a coin on a flat surface and listening for the sound. A more modern coin mechanism tests for weight, diameter, milled edge ( quarters are milled, nickels arent and also the conductivity of the coin (bounce after it passes a magnet). the rest should be simple enough to do with streight logic circuits and solenoid drivers.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
As others have mentioned, this is best done with a microcontroller (uC). That said, a uC can be a bit daunting if you've never programmed one before, but some are easier than others for beginners. Personally, I like the PICAXE as it uses a form of BASIC language which is one of the easiest languages to learn in my opinion.

I'm slowly working on vending machine for a friend using a PICAXE capable of driving six servo motors (six coils for six different candy bars). I still have a ways to go, but the bulk of the design is based around project I helped another AAC member with found here. Take a look at the schematics and code at the end of the thread and see what you think. If that doesn't scare you away, I can give you guidance on a simple design.

What is this for by the way? School project, pet project, gift for a friend, workplace, etc.?

ELECTROFLUX

Joined Aug 7, 2015
As others have mentioned, this is best done with a microcontroller (uC). That said, a uC can be a bit daunting if you've never programmed one before, but some are easier than others for beginners. Personally, I like the PICAXE as it uses a form of BASIC language which is one of the easiest languages to learn in my opinion.

I'm slowly working on vending machine for a friend using a PICAXE capable of driving six servo motors (six coils for six different candy bars). I still have a ways to go, but the bulk of the design is based around project I helped another AAC member with found here. Take a look at the schematics and code at the end of the thread and see what you think. If that doesn't scare you away, I can give you guidance on a simple design.

What is this for by the way? School project, pet project, gift for a friend, workplace, etc.?
Thanks for the link, i didn't find that in my previous search about vending machines, there should be a way to "tag" relevant threads here on the forum with useful keywords, this one should definitely be tagged with "vending machines" .
For the time being, i will skip anythings that involves programming's languages, but i will probably try to explore this new branch on the future to come.
Not a school/pet project or gift, etc.., let say it's just an attempt to come out from a "dole" to get into some sort of pre-packaged Dole....
Thanks for sharing ;)

Dole.png

I worked at National Vendors in the electronic engineering department for a few years starting in 1980. We were at the beginnings of switching everything over to electronic but still had to deal with the mechanical guys who didn't understand electronic things. I have stories to tell but really don't remember a whole lot about how the mechanical stuff worked.