DIY solder sucker

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Vacuum desoldering stations are a bit pricey, ~$160USD. The tip is heated with a vacuum filtering chamber right behind it to catch the slag. Easy enough to use one handed but cleaning the slag chamber is a bear even 2 handed. 3 differnt diameter openings for tips and temp adjustable. You need to keep the suction nozzle/collector hot, or it will plug with solder slag. They also give you some reamers to clean the tip openings. Pro Digital Vacuum Desoldering Station Anesty Professional Removal Rework New 696231064913 | eBay You won't have any problems using it one handed but will need assistance cleaning it. FWIW food for thought...
1622855296183.png
I've already broken one hand unit but they can be bought separately along with slag chamber parts.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
My earliest recollections of solder removal consisted of raising the solder to its molten state then to suddenly blow it through the through-hole. It DID make a mess on anything on the receiving side. But it did get rid of solder. And eventually the night stand I once used as a work station.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I have the spring loaded plunger type Solder Sucker (SS). It's non-metallic tip, I've notched it slightly to allow the SS to encompass the soldering iron tip and still make a good vacuum on the molten solder. The notch allows me to keep the joint hot while evacuating the solder. Great little modification. Just don't cut the notch too big. Start extra small and increase slowly until it works perfectly.
1622992082124.png