Diy car Bluetooth with steering wheel buttons help?

Mopski

Joined Feb 19, 2019
Ok, so a bit of back story before I explain what my goal is. What I have is a Nissan Gloria that was imported into my country. It has a stock head unit and steering wheel buttons which consist of:
Mode - changes between AM, FM, CD and TV.
Volume - up and down for the radio.
Phone - which brings up a call menu on a screen that is in the centre of the dash. (CDMA compatible only - old old old phone tech)
Arrow up - which scrolls up on the call menu
Arrow down - which scrolls down on the call menu.

There are 3 RCA inputs for the TV which are located behind the centre console, Left, Right and Video.

My current setup:
Currently my phone is connect via an AUX to RCA cable which then connect to the RCA inputs in the car, although this setup is working at the moment it is not ideal, the reason being is mainly due to local laws.
1. To change song I have to touch my phone (If caught touching a device that is not a part of the vehicle, including if its in a phone holder you can be fined)
2. To answer calls, I have to touch my phone and unplug it from AUX to have it on loudspeaker.(again same reason as before)
3. Have to plug in the AUX everytime I get in the car.

My end goal:
1. Connect to bluetooth as soon as I get in the car.
2. Change song with up and down arrows on my steering wheel.
3. Be able to access google assistant to make calls with the phone button.

Things to think about:
1. Replace the stock head unit with an aftermarket head unit is not an option.
2. Happy to power it with usb.
3. Must have aux output.
4. Soldering is not an issue for me.
5. Volume buttons only need to control the head unit as bluetooth woll always be on full anyway.

My idea would be to have a bluetooth receiver board with AUX out, inputs for buttons and an external mic input would prefer ref usb powered. What I'm really struggling with is what bluetooth board would work with those parameters.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would me amazing and of corse thank you in advance.

Last edited:

jhovel

Joined Jul 9, 2016
It may be an option for you to adapt a cheap portable bluetooth speaker with phone option.
You can probably find the connections for its buttons and wire them to your steering wheel, as well as the answer/hang up buttons. Then find the sound input to it's amplifier stage and wire that to your head unit. You could ditch the speaker and hide the whole thing under your dash, once you paired it with your phone. Having a battery in it might prove useful for keeping a phone call going with the engine switched off if you haven't concluded the call by the time you arrive at your destination. On second thoughts, you will also want to wire an on/off switch somewhere discreet, so you don't cycle the battery every time you leave the car....
I suspect that would be the cheapest possible option with prices of small Bluetooth speakers now....
Cheers,
Joe