DIY 2.1 channel amplifier not worked

Vaibhav Shinde

Joined Jan 4, 2014
Dear all,
I am from one of the begginers in electronics hobbysists. I have some knowledge about electronics. I decided to build 2.1 channel amplifier with TDA7377 + LM4558D using schematic given on following site -

Circuit power audio amplifier with TDA7377 2.1 – Stereo + Subwoofer 2x 12 Watts + 37 Watts | Xtronic Free Electronic Circuits and Informations

Now, I have two 10w 4ohm satellite speakers and 50w 4ohm subwoofer. But after assembling circuit sound is anyway not coming. I am using 12v power supply. And usb mp3 player as sound i/p. But there is noise only. Please help me with this circuit. Whether LM4558D requires negative (-12v) power supply??
Please help.....!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Divide and conquer. For instance, can you verify that the 12V regulator is working and that the ICs have power? Is the audio signal reaching the input pins? One thing at a time.

A photo of your build might help someone spot your problem. It's very easy to make a mistake, but it can be hard to spot one you made yourself.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Dear all,
I am from one of the begginers in electronics hobbysists. I have some knowledge about electronics. I decided to build 2.1 channel amplifier with TDA7377 + LM4558D using schematic given on following site -

Circuit power audio amplifier with TDA7377 2.1 – Stereo + Subwoofer 2x 12 Watts + 37 Watts | Xtronic Free Electronic Circuits and Informations

Now, I have two 10w 4ohm satellite speakers and 50w 4ohm subwoofer. But after assembling circuit sound is anyway not coming. I am using 12v power supply. And usb mp3 player as sound i/p. But there is noise only. Please help me with this circuit. Whether LM4558D requires negative (-12v) power supply??
Please help.....!!!
Is this a tested = proven circuit?
Is the PCB a commercial product or did you design it?

Vaibhav Shinde

Joined Jan 4, 2014
Divide and conquer. For instance, can you verify that the 12V regulator is working and that the ICs have power? Is the audio signal reaching the input pins? One thing at a time.

A photo of your build might help someone spot your problem. It's very easy to make a mistake, but it can be hard to spot one you made yourself.
Dear friend,
I have checked circuit connections. My regulator 7812 is working well. And output of 12 v is there. Also I have used usb mp3 player kit for audio input. And I am getting audio signal. I doubt whether LM4558 requires negative 12v supply or not. I am getting output noise but no music. I have installed circuit on general purpose PCB .So you may not get idea about connections , which I have made. Let it be, I will agin check connections again. You please help with any wrong design of circuit....!!! Please help..

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
You can always make a simple audio oscillator using 2 transistors connected as an astable multivibrator or using LM555 to generate 800Hz tone and inject onto the TDA7377 inputs.

If tone is audible there, then just go one stage in front of the TDA and inject the tone into the input of the op-amp and see if the tone disappears there. From that you can confirm whether the problem is in the power, main amp or opamp stage.

Just my way of trouble shooting.

Allen

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I don't see how it could work without a negative rail for the op amps. The non-inverting op amps have their inputs ground referenced. The input signals to them will be swinging above and below ground, so the signals would go well out of range.

IMHO, the op-amp inputs would need to be DC leveled at 1/2 supply so they could handle input signals.

I think it could be done by adding a 47k resistor at each + op-amp input (that has a 47k to ground) connected up to the 12V supply which would set the input at 6V. (?)

Last edited:

Vaibhav Shinde

Joined Jan 4, 2014
Thanks to every body. My circuit is running fantastic,. Now oly problem I am facing is, whenever I connect subwoofer in circuit, my all three speakers volume goes down & it produces distortion . Any help regarding this last problem???

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
The sub woofer will draw extra current. Your power supply may be sagging.
What is the power supply current rating?

EDIT: Try it with only the sub woofer connected.

Vaibhav Shinde

Joined Jan 4, 2014
Currently I am using 12v uniform DC power supply with 7812 voltage regulator IC. But TDA7377 IC has bridge mode output of 30 or 35 watt at 14 v. My sub woofer has 4 ohm 50 w rating. I will try your suggested option.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Currently I am using 12v uniform DC power supply with 7812 voltage regulator IC. But TDA7377 IC has bridge mode output of 30 or 35 watt at 14 v. My sub woofer has 4 ohm 50 w rating. I will try your suggested option.
Very much will depend of the power supply rating. In other words how much power it can deliver. If it is a commercial power. It should be labeled with both output voltage and how many watt it can output. Can you post those details ?

Vaibhav Shinde

Joined Jan 4, 2014
Actually...I tried connecting only subwoofer , but only humming noise is coming. No bass at all. As far as power supply is concerned I have used RS 206L bridge rectifier IC followed by LM 7812. Another thing is my IC TDA 7377 is heating. Please suggest for Subwoofer & for heating problem.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Your bridge rectifier is to small.
It is only rated 2 Amps.
It might be that the buffer capacitor is also to small.
What is your transformer rating?

Bertus

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Actually...I tried connecting only subwoofer , but only humming noise is coming. No bass at all. As far as power supply is concerned I have used RS 206L bridge rectifier IC followed by LM 7812. Another thing is my IC TDA 7377 is heating. Please suggest for Subwoofer & for heating problem.
What is the DC voltage on each of the four outputs?
Measure this at the IC pins, not after any coupling caps.

The voltage regulator current is too small also.

The IC's usable power output with low distortion is around 4+ watts for single-ended operation, and around 10 watts bridged for the sub-woofer, all @ 4 ohms load, if using a 14 volt supply, and somewhat less with 12 VDC.

So, ball-park you need a few amps peak current from the power supply if you want to run the amp steadily near max power.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I made this circuit and also have the same problem with the subwoofer, I did the installation with the modifications gave bertus user and only have the problem with the subwoofer (30watt 8ohm) that distorts and does not sound good. Satellites sound perfect (2 * 10watt * 6ohm) but the general assembly has background noise and distortion that discourages me is the lack of bass. I'm using the bridge rectifier and OP.AMP KBU-802. MC-1558 and feed a computer power supply to test the circuit. In the forum creator circuit a person solved the sound problem in satellites making modifications to resistance but using 47k instead of 100k as proposed by bertus user and remove the problem of subwoofer replaced the regulator 7812 by the 7809 and I did and nothing happened. Please would any proposal to see if I can accommodate it. Thanks in advance

Vaibhav Shinde

Joined Jan 4, 2014
Jorge... There are following problems -
1) IC LM 4558 needs dual power supply. I upamed my circuit to give +12V and -12V as well. Then I got sound in satellite speakers.
2) Subwoofer filter section may have some wrong circuit. Which is causing noise & no output in subwoofer. I am studying the same.
3) Circuit consists of number of components and & ICs. Hence it requires steady and large power.
Circuit claims to give 30 W output. It means we need at least 12 V X 4A= 48W power supply for efficient operation.
4) IC you mentioned later is 7809. This gives 9V. Which is not sufficient. Please note ,I had removwd both 7812 & 7912 ICs
Used large current diodes and transformer to give better supply. Then my circuit worked.But subwoofer filter is still not working.