Distribution of Power Lines from MAINS SWITCH

How the junction points are wired


  • Total voters
    1
  • Poll closed .

Thread Starter

SabapathyPalingam

Joined Dec 17, 2010
4
I need help in the following


I have 5 Nos. Induction Motors.

Each 2 KW ratings.

These motors are wired to Power contactor - 440 V - Normally Open Type
These contactors has Auxillary Contactor - 220V for keeping power contactor Closed
To actuate these contactors there are 5 Independent Switches
Say Switches - A ; B ; C ; D 'And E

The wires From the power contactors from each contactor - 3 Phase and a Nuetral
are terminated at the distribution juction Box

One set of wires - for each contactors - that is having 3 phase wires and a nuetral wire - and totally 5 sets

My question is :-

Are these 5 sets of wires connected to MAINS SWITCH Terminal Points at common terminal ?
OR
Multiple terminal ?

That is
Do the MAINS SWITCH has common terminal or Multiple Terminal ?

In case of multiple Terminal - what is name of Switch ?
How do I Specify in My Bill of Material ?

Hope I get clarifications

Thanks and Regards
ANSabapathy
 

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
4,843
Each motor shall have a circuit breaker (MCB) in the distribution panel. Then these circuit breakers are connected to common bus bars (phase, neutral and ground bus bars). The bus bars are isolated with a main isolation switch. This is a common connection. In higher power applications more sets of bus bars may be used.
 

roadey_carl

Joined Jun 5, 2009
137
I don't really understand what you meen. Are you asking what type of main switch it is? if the switch isolates all 3phases and neutral then its classed as a " Tripple pole & Neutral isolator " or " TP&N Isolator "
 

Thread Starter

SabapathyPalingam

Joined Dec 17, 2010
4
Dear MIK 3

Thanks for your reply

I tried to construct as per your suggestion and
I have attached the drawing in the word format.

I request you go through and I need your concurrance
whether this drawing ia OK or not

Thanks and Regards
ANSabapathy
----------------------
 

Attachments

Thread Starter

SabapathyPalingam

Joined Dec 17, 2010
4
Each motor shall have a circuit breaker (MCB) in the distribution panel. Then these circuit breakers are connected to common bus bars (phase, neutral and ground bus bars). The bus bars are isolated with a main isolation switch. This is a common connection. In higher power applications more sets of bus bars may be used.
Dear MIK3

Your comments please on the drawing attached

Your e-mail ID please If you do not mind
Mine:- <SNIP>

Thanks and Regards
ANSabapathy
-----------------------
 

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread Starter

SabapathyPalingam

Joined Dec 17, 2010
4
try redrawing it with your concept of 'common' terminals and we'll see what you get. Who's electrical code are you trying to satisfy?
Dear GetDeviceInfo,

I am not trying to satisfy any one.

I am from the Old school - I am at 57 years old
I am aware of the common terminal mains switch,
However , this tend to become clumsy,
and bulky to construct and always not easily available in the market- It has to be constructed by ourselves.
I wanted a better solution
Mr. MIK3 suggestion seems to be a better Idea.
I wanted whether I got him right?
So I constructed a circuit Diagram and wanted him to comment on it .
I am not really into satisfying any one please - please
I am sorry if I made that sense.
I really wanted a better solution - may be better kind of multiple
terminal switch which would be easy to use and install.
However I find the Bus-bar connection which MIK3 suggested
a better alternative and I did make the circuit accordingly
and I wanted concurrance from him.

Hope I did not get into any unwanted controversy

Thanks and Regards
ANSabapathy
---------------------
 

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
2,284
I'm sure you'll need to satisfy some body, code wise. I asked that you post your drawing differently to clear up some confusion as to your terminology.

Typically, your supply from the isolation switch would feed a common terminal from which individual sources would be drawn to each load. Your drawing indicates seperate terminals, becoming cluttered.
 
Top