Distance measurement for heavy dump truck

Remizar Yoga Saputra

Joined Mar 31, 2019
So i have a project for my internship in mining company. Im plan to make some arduino to read distance between 2 dump truck. The range is around 100m - 1m. Preciseness is about 1m. Im thinking about rf sensor and gps.

Im really confused about those sensors, cuz i worried the arduino cant calculate fast enough cuz radio wave travel in speed of light. And about the gps, i dont realy sure that gps could measure until 1m difference between 2 dump truck.

What do you think the best way to calculate distance for my project and what methode ?

Thanks

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I think you need to define the problem in more detail.

Is the orientation of the trucks an important parameter?
What is the environment?
How often do you need to measure?

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... It seems like there are several approaches to this particular problem. You will probably have to try out one or two in order to achieve a satisfactory solution. One interesting possibility is with the integrated circuit shown here:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1714673.pdf
According to the data sheet, above a certain minimum echo return amplitude, a range proportional alarm pulse is generated, so that the alarm pulse length would be getting longer as the collision distance decreased. I.e.:
If the level of echo signal presents at filter output is above 0.35V + Vref, the comparator will output a low pulse at Pin 1 (I_O) with width is proportion to the echo signal strength.
... Which may prove to be useful when connected to a buzzer or suitable audio transducer. It may be possible to convert the 'longer' pulse output to one that is 'louder' ... That may require some additional design effort.

Remizar Yoga Saputra

Joined Mar 31, 2019

What is the environment?
The orientation not really important. The thing is i need to know the nearest truck from my truck.
Its a coal mining and pretty dusty all around.
I need to measure like every second. So its always reading and

Remizar Yoga Saputra

Joined Mar 31, 2019

What is the environment?
The orientation not really important. The thing is i need to know the nearest truck from my truck.
Its a coal mining and pretty dusty all around.
I need to measure it like every second. So its always reading and searching

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Because a couple week ago there is a front crash accident between two truck. It happen because the driver was (maybe) not focus or sleepy. So i plan to make an alarm that beeping if the truck close to another truck to make the driver always steady if close to another truck.
Then you should use an RSSI method, with transmitters and receivers on the trucks.

You don't need to know the precise distance, but the range to the extent that a warning to the driver is possible.
You could even cause a bright strobe to flash when they get too close, as a visual warning to each other.

Remizar Yoga Saputra

Joined Mar 31, 2019
Then you should use an RSSI method, with transmitters and receivers on the trucks.

You don't need to know the precise distance, but the range to the extent that a warning to the driver is possible.
You could even cause a bright strobe to flash when they get too close, as a visual warning to each other.
Ohh im sorry i dont define my plan really detail.
Beside i make an alarm, i will reduce the vehicle speed by manipulate throttle sensor output if the truck is over speed and its pretty close to other truck. Pretty close like 10 meter.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Ohh im sorry i dont define my plan really detail.
Beside i make an alarm, i will reduce the vehicle speed by manipulate throttle sensor output if the truck is over speed and its pretty close to other truck. Pretty close like 10 meter.
Franky, this sounds like a very bad plan to me. Anything that adjusts the control parameters of a large vehicle is a serious safety concern.

The potential for your "safety" device being the cause of an accident doesn't pass any cost-benefit analysis I can make.

I can't really help with something like this but please consider the danger of manipulating the throttle of a multi ton vehicle with hobbyist hardware. Good luck.

Remizar Yoga Saputra

Joined Mar 31, 2019
Franky, this sounds like a very bad plan to me. Anything that adjusts the control parameters of a large vehicle is a serious safety concern.

The potential for your "safety" device being the cause of an accident doesn't pass any cost-benefit analysis I can make.

I can't really help with something like this but please consider the danger of manipulating the throttle of a multi ton vehicle with hobbyist hardware. Good luck.
Thanks man, i appreciate your advise

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
MSHA should be notified when congestion is too high. If we are talking operator to operator safety then it is really if the operator is willing to use his ears this way. Each mining vehicle should have it's own distinct audible sound.
The site specific terrain can vary. What the operator really wants to know is what is going on locally which means that like a scanner
the stronger nearest signal will be received (more decibels) will break the squelch. In this scenario detecting off road needs a whole new perspective than regular vehicle proximity sensors. Take for example going down muddy hill to load some product both vehicles are chained together and the water table is high. In order to accomplish this both operators must work together. It is almost all voice however some proximity might be helpful. Seeing around blind corners is yet another completely separate procedure and there are many different procedures.

Last edited: