Dissertation Topic

RdAdr

Joined May 19, 2013
I am in my second year at the master's degree studying electronics/microelectronics and I need a topic for the dissertation thesis.
My teacher told me to come up with ideas but I do not have any ideas.

Some students chose to design some analog circuit + simulation + layout + physical implementation on a PCB.

I would like to do this but I do not know what circuit to choose.

Others chose projects involving microcontrollers and sensors and writing in C.
This tempts me as well.

And others I do not know.

Can someone recommend me some dissertation topics. Thanks.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We can recommend many things, but if they don't interest you, then they will make for a lousy dissertation and you don't want that. You know yourself better than anyone, so it is up to you to come up with ideas and run them past your advisor.

RdAdr

Joined May 19, 2013
I'm interested in many things. I do not have favorite subjects. Any subject that makes my mind tick is a favorite subject.
I do not have ideas because when I study some particular subject, I tend to stay on it a lot. Hence, I tend to not get into many subjects to have a broader view of things. This might not be good but that is how I am.

So any ideas will be welcomed.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So pick something from one of those subjects that you stayed on a lot.

Since you are talking about a Master's thesis, presumably that means that you are already a degreed engineer. That means, in theory, that you are a problem solver. So go talk to some of the people involved in research at your school (or people running undergraduate labs) and find out what problems they need solved.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I'm interested in many things. I do not have favorite subjects. Any subject that makes my mind tick is a favorite subject.
I do not have ideas because when I study some particular subject, I tend to stay on it a lot. Hence, I tend to not get into many subjects to have a broader view of things. This might not be good but that is how I am.

So any ideas will be welcomed.
What interests you from the following list A and what interests you from List B. Then ask yourself, "what can I make that involves (List A item) and (list B item)?"

List A
===============
-Clocks and time.
-Audio recordings and recording equipment.
-Audio instrument amplifiers and distortion pedals
-Radios and communication
-Robotics / 3D printing
-thermostats and Temp controllers
-biomedical devices
-lighting and colors
-household appliances
-cars and trucks
- anything hobby or interest you have (whether or not it uses electronics)

List B
==========
Make something easier to use
Make something safer
Make something beautiful
Make something faster
Make something more consistent or more accurate
Removes stress from someone's life
Automates something that was done manually
Makes something portable
Makes something more energy efficient
Records some type of information for review later (time, temp, light, motion, ...)
Any other idea that this initial list made you think about.