Display 16x2 Cable name

hide24

Joined Jul 9, 2019
Hello everyone,
I want to replace a display LM162AT1 with another VFD which I like it because it's brightness.
The problem is that I don't know the name of this cable and measure. Anyone knows it?
Also could be replaced for this VFD? ( I attach picture)

The old display LM162AT1 data sheet is (green characters picture)
The new VFD display data sheet is (Black characters picture)

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Pin3 in the old is labeled Vlc and the schematic seems to show it is a brightness/contrast control. In the new (black) DS, it is labeled SI/SO (serial com connection designators) or NC. How will you connect it? Does the new screen have a separate contrast/brightness control?

As for the cable, it looks like a typical cable terminated in a 14 or 16 pin female connector. You may have to assemble the cable yourself. You will need to measure contact center to center spacing ("pitch"). It does not look particularly small, so that spacing is likely 2.54 mm (0.1") or 2 mm.

hide24

Joined Jul 9, 2019
Thank you Jpanhalt.
I think the new display don't use the contrast because is a VFD display. (Attach picture)
In this case, even I connect it, Will it works?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The old display can use 4 bit or 8 bit interface. If you want to use a 4 bit interface, make sure that the new one can be used that way.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thank you Jpanhalt.
I think the new display don't use the contrast because is a VFD display. (Attach picture)
In this case, even I connect it, Will it works?
Your initial post said "another VFD." That means to me that you are replacing one VFD display that seems dim with another VFD display that seems brighter. I am OK with that. If you are replacing some other type of display with a VFD, then there are other considerations, but I don't think that is what you mean.

As for Pin3, the old VFD you reference seems to have a brightness control, which makes sense. That pin apparently does not need to be connected in the new display. From a practical standpoint, I hope the new display has some way (e.g., a knob on its face) to control brightness. There is a big difference between day and night when reading a VFD.

Now back to the cable: Why do you need a new cable? Is it soldered to the old display? Why not just unsolder it and then re-solder it to the new display. You may even be able to leave pin3 connected, but if you can't, disconnecting that one wire is a lot simpler than building a whole new cable. If it is not soldered to the old display, but the new display does not have a corresponding male (?) connector on it, it is very simple to get a new male (or female) connector to solder to the new display. In any event, you can probably re-use the old cable, which is the easiest and probably least mistake prone thing to do.

Edit: I see the new display has "JP1," which is probably the male connector to the cable. If the existing cable doesn't have an unshrouded 2x8 female connector, then adding one is simple.

Edit#2: On closer examination, you may have a problem. The front picture of the new display does not show JP1 populated; the rear picture shows a version with a "backpack" PCB to convert the display to serial. If the original display is parallel then the replacement needs to be parallel, unless you plan to rewrite the display driver code. One option is to remove that backpack, but if you do that, you need to confirm that the resulting display is parallel, and its firmware has not been modified for the backpack. That is quite likely, but not certain.

Last edited:

hide24

Joined Jul 9, 2019
Sorry!
My english is not very good, was my mistake!
The old display is a normal LCD which you can change the contrast.
I will try unsolder the old cable too. ( My worry was if when I unsold I damage the original display, because my poor skills) However I will solder to the new VFD and see if it works.
Thanks for the info Jpanhalt!;)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You need to consider the other edits. The page you show for a replacement VFD has a serial interface. Your LCD display apparently has a parallel interface. They are not plug and play compatible.

Some pictures may help:
1) Confirm the old LCD is parallel interface. Does it use 4 or 8 data lines (i.e., DB0..DB7 or DB4..DB7 commonly)? A picture of its back side might help.
2) Does your new VFD use parallel or serial interface. A link to its datasheet will definitely help as will a picture of its back side.
3) Does the VFD have a built-in character set? Most 16x2 LCD's do, not sure about VFD's. If the VFD does not, they are not compatible.
4) What is the logic voltage for each (datasheets help)
5) If you look only at the connectors, a 4-pin connector as shown in your post #5 will not be compatible with a 16-pin connector as shown in your original post.

BOTTOM LINE: Keep your powder dry and your soldering cool until we have a better idea about the VFD.