Direction of current flow

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Since the two sources and Rc are all not specfied there is no deterninate solution for this circuit. The two voltage sources may be most anything (assuming they are positive) with a combined total voltage from 6V to infinity as long as an appropiate choice is made for Rc.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Since the two sources and Rc are all not specfied there is no deterninate solution for this circuit. The two voltage sources may be most anything (assuming they are positive) with a combined total voltage from 6V to infinity as long as an appropiate choice is made for Rc.
And that changes nothing.

The voltages given in the post are physically unrealizable and therefore invalidates the entire discussion that follows (to the degree that it is based on those unrealizable voltages)

Regardless of what the voltage sources are, if [EITHER (the voltage at T relative to the voltage at P is 24V) OR (the (conventional) current clockwise around the loop is 1A)] AND (both voltage sources are positive), the it is guaranteed that the voltage at S is less than or equal to zero and that the voltage at Q is greater than or equal to zero (assuming that the resistors are run-of-the-mill passive ohmic devices.

The entire argument put forth in Post #136 is based on the assertion that V_s > V_q. Okay, so someone needs to show that this is possible without violating KVL and/or KCL.

If we remove the restriction on the two voltage sources both being positive and allow one or the other to be negative, then the voltages at points S and Q still have to have different signs (unless one or both are zero) and the current will flow from whichever one of them is the more positive to the one that is less positive and the current in the entire circuit will flow in the same direction (CW or CCW) and the current in the resistor Rc will flow from which ever node, T or P, is at the higher voltage to the other.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
I do not see how the 0 volts connection even comes into any part of this discussion. One could stick it in the middle of the battery and it would make no difference to current flow and volt drops across the resistors!

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
WBahn, you comment about resistors generating energy made me rethink.

Well the best way to convince oneself that you have made a monumental mistake is to build the circuit and test it.

I did just that and find that it is my turn to apologise.

Counting from any point, when the circuit is completed the voltage goes up and down in the fashion you predicted and my thoughts were moonshine.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I do not see how the 0 volts connection even comes into any part of this discussion. One could stick it in the middle of the battery and it would make no difference to current flow and volt drops across the resistors!
No, it wouldn't. But if you want to discuss node voltages you need a reference node. You can put it anywhere, but you need one.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
WBahn, you comment about resistors generating energy made me rethink.

Well the best way to convince oneself that you have made a monumental mistake is to build the circuit and test it.

I did just that and find that it is my turn to apologise.

Counting from any point, when the circuit is completed the voltage goes up and down in the fashion you predicted and my thoughts were moonshine.
Glad you got it squared away. Does it change any of the points you were trying to make, because I think you had some valid points and some invalid points that were kinda mixed together?