Dimming a dimmable LED light fixture that will not dim witj an LED dimmer switch.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I installed two low -power LED fixtures that are intended to illuminate artwork on a wall. I installed a LUTRON dimmer switch that states on the package it will work with LED lights There is also another lamp on the dimmer, not sure what kind it is.
The problem is that the two fixtures light at full intensity, while the floor lamp on the same dimmer dims perfectly.The two fixtures that do not dim have modular drivers which I will need to take the fixtures down and unwire them to read the labels to provide that information. An earlier dimmer installation provided an interesting strobe-flasher effect that was totally unsatisfactory.
So I am seeking advice on what sort of scheme will provide actual dimming of the two LED fixtures.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
LED bulbs/fixtures are very finicky about what dimmers they work with. Unfortunately, I don't have any secrets to making them work.

I once battled with some "3 speed" touch dimmers. The type from the box stores didn't work. Types specially claiming to support LED bulbs didn't work any better.

This pair of lamps each had 2 LED bulbs. One worked intermittently (very) with 2 LED bulbs. The other didn't work at all. (Bulbs rated for dimming). The best I could do was dimming the LED bulb....if the other bulb was incandescent. That worked fine.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The only sure-fire method is to use dimmers and lamps from the same manufacturer.
There is no standard protocol for dimming LED lamps via mains, so some work, some don't.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Unfortunately the client tossed what documents came with the fixtures because they were not useful. So it seems that I must examine the label on the driver modules. But not today.My guess is that they include constant current regulators. Not dimmable, probably.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I would try removing the floor lamp. It might be messing up a dimmer designed for LED bulbs.
We tried that because it was both obvious and simple. It had no effect that we could see. But certainly a valid suggestion. The next step might be to try it with one ligh fixture alone.