Digital car dashboard android project for older Nissan - Help needed!

koolguy

Joined Aug 27, 2018
So, one of my cars (98 Altima) I would like to create a digital dash in place of or over the existing stock gauges. I recently upgraded to LED bulbs in the dash and had everything taken apart. I saw the plastic type circuit board everything connects to and how it works.

I would like to either:

A. Eliminate the 2 large gauges in the middle, leaving only the gas and engine temp lights to the right and left. Replace 2 large gauges with an android tablet screen or some type of LCD going to an android tablet or android box, which will be connected via USB or Bluetooth to OBD II port, will be using torque app for all gauges except analog gas and oil temp which will stay in their original spots. (Gas / fuel gauge will NOT work for me on tablets when using OBD II, sensor must not be there for reading that over OBD II)

OR

B. Eliminate the entire gauge cluster and build a larger and wide LCD screen or tablet to fit over the old gauges and somehow convert all analog signals into something an android can be able to read via USB input. The Torque app with Bluetooth OBD II works great but on this car since its older refresh rates are a bit slower than newer cars, so there is a small small lag. Also as stated I cant get fuel percentage from OBD II on this car.

C. Do something entirely different that I haven't thought of, any suggestions? Comments? I have seen digital dash kits that use LED's only and they are like 600 bucks and not as cool as an android type interface where I can customize the gauges in an app.

There's alot of ways I could do this and I'm having trouble deciding what route to go. I really would like to somehow convert the analog RPM and MPH gauges to USB, that way there wouldn't be any lagging in refresh rates but maybe I can deal with that. Currently waiting on a OBD II to USB adapter to see if the refresh rates are quicker.

I have the time and want to do this. This is a sentimental ride that I don't plan to let go soon.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

koolguy

Joined Aug 27, 2018
I bought a Nextion LCD Touchscreen and like it but I'm still in the tutorial / demo stage.
This guy really mastered it. It gets good about the 2 minute mark.
Touch Screen Control Panel and Dash Display
They go up to 7" diagonal
https://www.robotshop.com/en/7-nextion-hmi-lcd-touch-display.html
Really cool! Thanks! Will any touch screen with "arduino" labeled work with this "SIMHUB" application? Curious what are you using it with, real car or simulated game car? I see alot of the people using these LCD's with SIMHUB are using them in driving simulator game cars.

koolguy

Joined Aug 27, 2018
That looks like a real car in the video. I haven't really used mine yet for anything.
Nextion has its own editor and is a programmable micro controller on its own but it does play nice with Arduinos.
Nextion Display with Arduino - Learn how to control outputs with a touchsreen and display sensor readings
Great information, just what I needed. Now that I know I'm going to be using a 7inch Nextion HMI display with this, I just have to figure out the best way to convert analog RPM/other gauges into the display or display/adruino pair. CAN VS OBD II VS soldering wires right from gauge cluster/harness into nextion/arduino (this option do-able? All I really need is RPM and MPH). I'm new to arduino, doing research but unsure what I need in addition to screen and arduino to be able to pull in gauge data, and building an air conditioning control would be great (existing one is analog buttons). Hopefully I can find wire pinout for that as well.