Digital Analog conversion, digital tv signals

The Kadet

Joined Apr 27, 2016
Hello.

I have an old black and white TV that i wold like to see working again.

since the terrestrial tv signal went digital it stoped working because its fully analogical tv. widaut a scart entry...

now the task at hand wold be to build a digital reciver it wold recive the digital signal from a given tuned chanel and convert it to analogical and transmit it to the tv via a coaxial cable.

experiments:

That tv is not the only one working with a digital analogical tuning/signal converter i have other TV working with it but those TV are more recent and therefore have an scart contion with the reciver and to get them working i only need to conect an extra cable...

i had an old VHS recorder that has an SCART entry and a coaxial exit so i just conected the cables and it worked!
but with very poor image on the tv...(loss due to the extra cable length/unapropriate devices) and only worked util recenthly when the Vhs recorder stoped working

So now i have a chalenge to create a tunig device to my tv...
i have only a bare idea how to do it...

the digital converter wil have to tune in the disired signal frequency and then send it to the tv in a given analogical frequency the tv is of course then tuned, like you tune a radio, on the frequency of emiting digital device.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are plenty still around on e-bay and such. I have several of the Channel Master boxes since these were just about the only ones time at the with S-video output. Most were simply composite or RF.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The conversion boxes are still sold all over the place brand new..

No need to make your own and spent hours and hours and hundreds and hundreds of dollars when you can buy one off the shelf all done..
I can just call up my cable company today and they would drop one off for me tomorrow if I wanted..

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As it is a black and white TV, the standard only cares about the line and raster frequency.
The color standard would not have any influence.

Bertus

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have an old black and white TV that i wold like to see working again.
You know what? You should get over it. Where I live, every day I could look on craigslist (an online free place to post stuff for sale) and find a handful of working color TVs for free at the curb, just waiting for someone to give them a home. We have to pay an extra fee if we want to send a TV to the trash, as it has to be removed and cannot go into a landfill. Most of the curb-alerts are analog CRTs like your's, but not all of them. Some have built-in digital tuners.

I cannot see the logic of investing time, energy and money into an object I would have to pay to have hauled away.

The Kadet

Joined Apr 27, 2016
You know what? You should get over it. Where I live, every day I could look on craigslist (an online free place to post stuff for sale) and find a handful of working color TVs for free at the curb, just waiting for someone to give them a home. We have to pay an extra fee if we want to send a TV to the trash, as it has to be removed and cannot go into a landfill. Most of the curb-alerts are analog CRTs like your's, but not all of them. Some have built-in digital tuners.

I cannot see the logic of investing time, energy and money into an object I would have to pay to have hauled away.
Here in europe when you buy a new TV, car batery... if you return the old one the shop gives you 5 euros, that extra money for the recycling is included in the new tv price tag.

And i agree it is easy to get the device from the internet.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Here in europe when you buy a new TV, car batery... if you return the old one the shop gives you 5 euros, that extra money for the recycling is included in the new tv price tag.
Thank the EU for that... Its WEEE compliance where the manufacturer or importer must foot the bill for the collection/recovery/disposal of said electronic equipment..
So obviously that cost is passed down to the consumer.

I'm neck deep in converting all products at my company to be "ROHS" compliant.. Its a total PITA and is costing us thousands and thousands of dollars.