Didcha all miss me?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have spent the last 5 days without Internet service. It was traumatic to say the least. Obviously it has now been fixed.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I definitely tried , but my plan, set up by my roommate had that option locked out. Definately on my to do list now, Waay up there.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Did you resort to trying to access the internet on your smartphone? ;)
When the cable Internet failed I dug out my little MiFi from my cellular carrier and it worked out fine. I had all but forgotten I had that little gizmo and it worked out fine till the regular Internet was up and running again. A natural gas explosion about a mile and a half away took out our service. The house shook and shortly after the cable went out. :)

Ron

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Our ISP is crappy; at least we're rarely completely without service for more than an hour or so. We have tethering on our data plan, so we can use 4G in a pinch.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I have spent the last 5 days without Internet service. It was traumatic to say the least. Obviously it has now been fixed.
So, you have not been distracted by the Internet... Hopefully you got lots of things done that you have been putting off. ;)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

I dont usually miss anyone on a forum until after a few weeks maybe. That's because i figure that people have their own lives that sometimes demand things of them that are offline and also because there are a lot of members posting and also because i dont keep super good track of who is posting and who is not every single day. But i can say that if someone did not post for maybe two weeks to a month or so i would wonder what the heck happened to them. Sometimes they state that they are leaving though and then i dont wonder as much. But i did notice at least one member i havent seen post for quite a while now (maybe months), unless i just happen to not have seen one of their posts, but i doubt that.
When you see someone post every day or almost every day and then you dont see them post for a while you do start to wonder what happened to them. I also notice that the frequency of posts for some members goes down too so i wonder if they lost some interest.
I could name names but i dont want to single them out.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
It would not bother me too much to have an extended outage of my home internet connection – except possibly when it is time to pay off the balance on my credit card (each month). Although I have the fall-back position of access via my work.

I have considered (possibly in the not too distant future), when I become older and infirm and cannot get out – that I might be relying on my internet connection for the delivery of essentials (food, medication and other services). Before we have robots and self-drive cars to get me around, I might have to consider paying for the services of two internet service providers to minimise the possibility of an extended outage.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
It would not bother me too much to have an extended outage of my home internet connection – except possibly when it is time to pay off the balance on my credit card (each month). Although I have the fall-back position of access via my work.

I have considered (possibly in the not too distant future), when I become older and infirm and cannot get out – that I might be relying on my internet connection for the delivery of essentials (food, medication and other services). Before we have robots and self-drive cars to get me around, I might have to consider paying for the services of two internet service providers to minimise the possibility of an extended outage.
Hi,

You can get wireless phone service so if the normal internet goes out for you the phone internet service will get you anywhere on the web. You just need a phone that can do data as well as the other stuff like voice and text. You can even look up new places if you need to. The phones are like little tablets, in fact they are little tablets with phone capabilities.
Some services are cheap if you dont use too much data. It sounds like you would be using minimum data until the regular internet service coes back up.
Dont know your location so i dont know what is available in your area though. You'd have to check that.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
Hi,

You can get wireless phone service so if the normal internet goes out for you the phone internet service will get you anywhere on the web. You just need a phone that can do data as well as the other stuff like voice and text. You can even look up new places if you need to. The phones are like little tablets, in fact they are little tablets with phone capabilities.
Some services are cheap if you dont use too much data. It sounds like you would be using minimum data until the regular internet service coes back up.
Dont know your location so i dont know what is available in your area though. You'd have to check that.
I have done just that... BT here in Blighty have just rolled out 4g sure... Both wired and wireless with seamless switching.. Must be avaialable over the pond!!

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I have done just that... BT here in Blighty have just rolled out 4g sure... Both wired and wireless with seamless switching.. Must be avaialable over the pond!!
Hi,

Oh so you are in Merry Old England :)

Isnt having the wireless good enough to carry you over during times of outage, or are your outages long lasting?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I don’t think my Nokia 3310 has internet connectivity.
Hi,

Is it like a tablet computer or just more like a hand phone?
The tablet type usually can connect to the internet.

I just saw something on the web that said that you can turn on the internet for that phone, but it may be an updated version. Not sure.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I thought you knew where I lived!!!! Remember the Rochdale Cowboy!!!

The 4g sure is actually faster than the wired....
Hi,

Oh sorry.
Isnt there a famous football team from around there somewhere too?

That's interesting about the 4g. I dont use my service except for emergencies so i dont have much experience with it.
I dont even use WiFi or Bluetooth and most people these days seem to be highly dependent on both :)