Delve (innards) RoadMap

dashboard

Joined Jul 31, 2015
Hello all, (please redirect me if I'm not in the right are of the forum)

I've fjust found this website (forum). Looks like I'm in the right place to my question. (sorry if it was asked before)

I'm a computer science student. One of my biggest question is the "roadmap" from electricity to bits....
What book(s) can I read to properly understand that "pathway" ?
And more.... what other book can I read to understand how microcontrollers / microprocessors works, its mind : schematically speaking : How does a microcontroller says / knows there is 0V or 5V at a given memory location, and what does it do with that 0V or 5V so that laters it becomes some rassembly instruction. Intel, AMD provide their devices architeture / instruction set books, but not the deep deep deep innards explanations of whats going on in their device at an electricity (electron) level...Could you suggest me some books or reading to delve in to that are too ?

I hope my question makes sense and that you can help me. (It reall bugs me out I wanna know why when I mpush a key on my keyboard, some electricity is directed somewhere in memory, an the microprocessor treats that sequence of electricity (bits) with electricity and it all becomes a carater on my screen....

dashboard

Joined Jul 31, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Google "logic circuit basics" to get you started.
Hahaha. :oops: I either expressed mysefl incorrectly or you did not take my question seriously.
I'm a computer science student ... I do know about logic gates and that theirs states (0V or 5V) at a given moment is encoded in binary digit.
But the process of enconding ; this is what I'm looking for. A somewhat "concise" theory of the encody of voltage to binary ... or binary to voltage.... How does a microcontroller / microprocessor even recognize the voltage (electricity) in a memory cell a manipulates it ... I know that gates may be organised to produce certain logic (or arithmetic) functions but what happens from the voltage in a memory cell up to the interface between voltage (electricity) and binary (further assembly, .....). If you have information about that interface also I'd apreciate it. This is what I was looking informations about (books suggestions, readings suggestions or your kind explanations)

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
what happens from the voltage in a memory cell up to the interface between voltage (electricity) and binary (further assembly, .....).
Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.
0V = logic 0, 5V = logic 1.
The micro's CPU (a bunch of logic gates) responds to an instruction consisting of a set of logic states (represented as a hexadecimal byte/word in assembly language) to perform a function.
I suggest you download the datasheet of any microprocessor/microcontroller and study its instruction set, the block diagram of its constituent parts and how they interface with each other and the outside world.