'Delete blog entry' feature requested.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Attn: @jrap @bertus

Please consider enabling selective deletion of one's own blog entries (e.g. as provided for fora posts) -- Please know that the (apparent?) lack of said feature greatly encumbers blog management!

Many thanks for your consideration

Best regards
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Why not simply allows blogs to be deleted by the author? They have a narrow audience at best and are of virtually no archival value for anyone other than those involved directly in them.
True enough! --- But in any event it seems reasonable that users should enjoy control over their blog content to the extent granted them over their posts to public fora... Note also that, inasmuch as the 'new' blog paradigm is non-threaded, entries are not equivalent to OPs - hence deletion of same is not equivalent to deletion of threads (i.e. cannot affect other's content).

But to continue my lil' whine... Re: the former Xenforo installation, I found the blog feature useful as a 'repository' for images, other attachments and 'discussions' (i.e. tutorials, etc...) likely to be referenced (i.e. linked/embedded) from multiple fora posts (thus reducing redundancy and 'centralizing' corrections, updates, etc...)

Unfortunately, as implemented, the 'new' blog feature has no provision for 'blog owner' deletion of his/her own entries. Such is especially inconvenient in that the transition has left my blog a veritable 'mess' (but again: many sincere thanks to site administration for recovery of 'the lion's share' of my data!:)) -- Point being that I'd like to 'move' said salvaged data to new blog entries, re-up 'lost' data, then delete the disordered, in many instances redundant and, hopelessly 'cross-linked' original entries... Although such data management may, in theory, be accomplished via the 'edit' feature, it is not possible to delete 'cross-linked' attachments (attempting to do so results in a non sequitur error message owing, I can but assume, to issues arising from corrupt indices). Even was full deletion of the evacuated entries' contents possible, I'd yet be left with the vacant entries...

Thus it seems, baring a solution Re: the blog feature, I'll be compelled to 'host' my global content in posts on the public fora (e.g. on my 'EHT...' thread) -- Although it certainly entails significant 'initial investment' in time and effort (to wit: downloading each attachment resident upon my blog followed by re-upping same to the appropriate 'repository post{s}' such a course may be my best solution inasmuch as --as I've learned to my cost-- the blog feature ('old' and 'new') is unreliable and 'buggy' at best --- But then, to be fair, my use of said feature is distinctly 'non-standard'...:oops:

Thanks for your interest and input!

Very best regards
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
That's funny. You seem to have inherited the thread from Aleph, usually the kids inherit from the parent. :)
But then you forget - she 'ceded' it to me lo these four years past;)
HP That's nice try to cop out but I don't see it that way cuz you add most of content so it's your thread! I can say so cuz I'm sovereign here so I abdicate and cede thread to you:p!
But seriously - No need for 'bequests' (upline or downline) just yet -- @Aleph(0) has sworn to return to active participation at such time as evidence of substantial effort on my part is forthcoming (paraphrased for courtesy:rolleyes:) -- Seems the 'rising generations' tend to miss the 'line' prioritizing responsibilities owed one's vocation vs. pleasure derived via one's avocations -- wadda world!:rolleyes:

Very best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Re: the former Xenforo installation, I found the blog feature useful as a 'repository' for images, other attachments and 'discussions' (i.e. tutorials, etc...) likely to be referenced (i.e. linked/embedded) from multiple fora posts (thus reducing redundancy and 'centralizing' corrections, updates, etc...)
HP I still say you should JUST DIRECTLY EMBED PIX ON POSTS! So I know it can be hassle tracking down all instances when you need to make updates and corrections but being totally self-contained is best way of making sure posts stay intact!

@Aleph(0) has sworn to return to active participation at such time as evidence of substantial effort on my part is forthcoming (paraphrased for courtesy:rolleyes:) -- Seems the 'rising generations' tend to miss the 'line' prioritizing responsibilities owed one's vocation vs. pleasure derived via one's avocations -- wadda world!:rolleyes:
HP I totally get that UR vry busy! But IT'S BEEN FIVE YEARS:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:! Now being fair you've done a lot of work on tutorial and thread! But I say getting stuff actually DONE is the whole point of that!

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
HP I still say you should JUST DIRECTLY EMBED PIX ON POSTS! So I know it can be hassle tracking down all instances when you need to make updates and corrections but being totally self-contained is best way of making sure posts stay intact!
When you're right, you're right! -- To wit: Agreed!:cool:

HP I totally get that UR vry busy! But IT'S BEEN FIVE YEARS:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:! Now being fair you've done a lot of work on tutorial and thread! But I say getting stuff actually DONE is the whole point of that!
Please see my latest reply on the 'EHT Thread':)

Best regards
HP