Delay Relay - Need advice.

Mantadive

Joined Jul 13, 2021
I need a time delay relay 12VDC- operation switching 220 VAC
I need the relay to switch the 220 VAC for approx 5 seconds. 12 volts supply will continue to the relay for approx 2mins

I dont need a delay before switching, what I need is the 220VAC supply to switch off after approx 5 seconds even though the 12 volt feed continues for approx 2 mins.

Will This relay do what I want?
I am more comfortable with physical relays than solid state.
figatia H3Y-2 DC 12V Delay Timer Time Relay 0-30 Second with H3Y-2 Base

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
A better option would be to use a 555 monostable switch module with 12 V DC input and relay contact output to switch 240V AC.

untitled5.JPG

Adjustable time delay would be 0 - 10s.

555 monostable switch modules are readily available.

Regards,

Nandu.

Last edited:

Mantadive

Joined Jul 13, 2021
Is this the switch?
NE555 Timer Switch 0-10 Sec Adjustable Module Time delay relay Module DC 12V Delay Relay Shield
Product details of DC 12V Delay Relay Module NE555 Timer Switch Adjustable Controller Module 0 to 10s 0~10 S Oscillator
  • The control area and loading area have separate compartments.
  • use real relay
  • with instructions for the operation of relays and relays
  • Compact size, easy to use
  • with fault-tolerant design
Voltage: 5V/12V/24V
Color: Blue/Red/Multicolor
Size: 4.3*1.7cm /5 *2.6*1.85cm/6.8*2.1cm
Material: Electronic components

Features
<<Control area and loading area are available. separate channel
<< Use a genuine relay.
<<With the power and the relay execute instructions, the light is off, the light is off;
<<When there is a signal at the signal input end, the common end and the normally open end are open;
<< Can be used as a microcontroller development board, the module can be used as a home appliance control;
<<Control DC or AC signal, you can control AC 220V load;
<< There are normally open and normally closed contacts;
<<Blue KF301 terminal, convenient to connect with control line1628402247971.png

Mods Note:
There is no needs to use the fonts too big.

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
Yes.

Terminals 'COM' and 'NO' are to be used to switch the 220 V AC.

Relay 'on time' is to be adjusted using the trimpot.

Nandu.

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I need a time delay relay 12VDC- operation switching 220 VAC
I need the relay to switch the 220 VAC for approx 5 seconds. 12 volts supply will continue to the relay for approx 2mins

I dont need a delay before switching, what I need is the 220VAC supply to switch off after approx 5 seconds even though the 12 volt feed continues for approx 2 mins.

Will This relay do what I want?
I am more comfortable with physical relays than solid state.
figatia H3Y-2 DC 12V Delay Timer Time Relay 0-30 Second with H3Y-2 Base
If you want to use this style of timer, then use OMRON H3YN-2 12VDC Analog Timer or equivalent.
It should function in "Interval mode". They are expensive however. See operational graph below.

1628441141557.png

Mantadive

Joined Jul 13, 2021
eetech00
Thanks for the reply -
What is the difference between the H3Y-2 and the H3YN-2
This one is readily available H3Y-2 DC 12V Delay Timer Time Relay 0-30 Second with H3Y-2 Base,
Will it do the job?

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
How reliable does the control need to be? That will have a large effect on what sort of control you should use. What happens if the timer fails to operate and what happens if it fails to switch back off? And how accurte does the time interval need to be?

Mantadive

Joined Jul 13, 2021
The timer is operating a 220 vac solenoid, which releases a safety device on a hoist. Once the hoist has descended 50mm it is clear of the safety device and the solenloid is no longer required. If it doesnt work then the safety stays on. No problem. I have built a manual release into the safety catch in case of failure.
The timer interval is very brief probably only 2 seconds, a longer period is not an issue, the solenoid is noisy thats all.
If it fails to switch of it is only powered while the hoist is descending approx 1 minute.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
eetech00
Thanks for the reply -
What is the difference between the H3Y-2 and the H3YN-2
This one is readily available H3Y-2 DC 12V Delay Timer Time Relay 0-30 Second with H3Y-2 Base,
Will it do the job?
The H3Y-2 does not have an "interval" function. The interval function provides the timer operation you want.
Below is the chart for the H3Y-2.

1628476568790.png
Its my understanding that when 12V power is applied, you want the NO contact to close, and apply 230v to the load for 5 seconds. When the 5 second time expires, the NO contact then opens and disconnects 230v to the load, even though 12V power is still applied to the Timer. The H3YN will provide this "interval" functionality.

The H3Y-2 WILL NOT provide this functionality.

BTW-I do not recommend the 555 module shown in previous posts even though it can provide the timing function.

The OMRON timers are UL certified (probably why they are more expensive).

Last edited:

Mantadive

Joined Jul 13, 2021
eetech00
Thanks for that, I didnt really understand the chart, but you have explained it well. Yes that is exactly what I want. Now to find a supplier in Thailand, I have been looking and they are not easy to come by and are expensive around 3500 baht. 1628478299081.png
1628478338909.png

PhilTilson

Joined Nov 29, 2009
A question - are you looking for a ready-made module to carry out this function or are you in a position to construct a simple circuit to do the job? If the latter is the case, then there is a very simple way of achieving what you want for just a few dollars, rather than some of the expensive modules you have been looking at.

Mantadive

Joined Jul 13, 2021
PhilTilson
Thanks, I wish I had the skills to construct a unit but sadly I dont. I have found one on line and it is on its way. It was expensive.
Hopefully it will do the job and last for the time I will need the lift.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
How about an alternative to the time delay, which would be a mechanically operated switch to release the solenoid after the hoist has lowered that 50mm distance, (about 2 inches.) It seems that some sort of mechanical switch trigger could be arranged that would be able to release it .And one thing is that if the hoist is stopped and then started again that noisy solenoid will operate every time. So a mechanically operated switch may be a better idea. AND the circuit will be much simpler.

mikewax

Joined Apr 11, 2016
Wouldn't it be simplest to just stick a cap with a bleed resistor in series? If you know the make and break voltage of the relay, the math ain't hard.