Deigning a BJT amplifier with a specific voltage gain

Lerior

Joined Jan 18, 2018
Hello everyone,

So, I was given a task to build a single stage BJT amplifier (Using NI Multisim only), and it was specified to build it so it can gives you a voltage gain (Av) of 12, the circuit configuration is optional. Now, simulating the circuit is easy, but choosing the right components is what makes it complicated for me. Our instructor never talked about the designing process, or anything related to that.

Is there any suggestions or guidance as how to start choosing components value (or BJT configuration) so I can end up with the desired voltage gain?

Thank you!

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Have you gone through the normal single-transistor amplifier topologies, such as common-collector, common-emitter and such?

Show the circuit that you are trying to use (or are thinking of using).

Lerior

Joined Jan 18, 2018
Have you gone through the normal single-transistor amplifier topologies, such as common-collector, common-emitter and such?

Show the circuit that you are trying to use (or are thinking of using).
Yes, I have studied basic BJT configuration in the past. I'm thinking of choosing an emitter-bias config.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So pick the one you think will work best -- you can always change your mind later -- and show your best initial attempt.

In addition to a gain of 12, what other performance requirements or goals are there?

What kind of load does it have to drive?

Lerior

Joined Jan 18, 2018
So pick the one you think will work best -- you can always change your mind later -- and show your best initial attempt.

In addition to a gain of 12, what other performance requirements or goals are there?

What kind of load does it have to drive?
There are no other requirements. I believe that Vi must = Vo (Unity gain).

I'm going to try the configuration I mentioned, but do you suggest using specific resistance values?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There are no other requirements. I believe that Vi must = Vo (Unity gain).
So which is it? In your first post you said: "and it was specified to build it so it can gives you a voltage gain (Av) of 12"

I'm going to try the configuration I mentioned, but do you suggest using specific resistance values?
This is YOUR homework assignment. Show your best attempt to pick values and explain why you chose what you did. We'll provide feedback to help you either strengthen your case or realize that you are missing something important.

Lerior

Joined Jan 18, 2018
So which is it? In your first post you said: "and it was specified to build it so it can gives you a voltage gain (Av) of 12"

This is YOUR homework assignment. Show your best attempt to pick values and explain why you chose what you did. We'll provide feedback to help you either strengthen your case or realize that you are missing something important.
It has to be 12, Av = Vo/Vi (AC). Thank you anyway, I will do my best and post an update once I'm done.