Dehumidifier Problems - any dehumidifier experts here?

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I have an LG LD651EBL 65 pint De-humidifier.

When it's running it really does a great job of removing moisture from the air so I'm thinking the compressor and refrigerant are both fine.
Let me first clarify that the air filter is spotlessly clean. Looking inside the unit, I see no build up of any kind. It looks clean front, back inside and out so I can rule out filter obstruction etc..

Where the problem comes in are in two areas.....

1).
The humidistat doesn't seem to be working properly. I have to set the humidity to 70% to get it to maintain 45% humidity in the room.
If I set it below that, it pretty much runs non stop. I could be wrong and it could be something else, so if you're knowledgeable with dehumidifiers can you suggest what else it might be? Is it possible the humidistat could need cleaning? I read somewhere that cleaning it with alcohol helps?

2).
Even with the humidistat set to 70%, the unit seems to cycle on and off too frequently.

I timed the intervals and it is 8 minutes ON, followed by 2 minutes 50 seconds OFF.....with a 15% fluctuation so it is not precisely times, but close.
Based on that, I would think it is a sensor based issue and not timer based?

Do you think cleaning the humidistat would help?
Do you think I need to replace the humidistat?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
If there is nothing wrong with the transducer that senses humidity (no hysterisis issues, etc), it's likely a component failure related to it that is throwing off it's calibration. I'm not an expert, but dehumidifiers (and I have one) are relatively simple. Strip moisture out of the air by condensation on coils, the same way an air-conditioner strips moisture out of air to take heat out of it.

You stated the other aspects seem to be fine, and it's clean. As long as it has not lost any refrigerant (see a service professional or vendor) then the only thing left is the humidity transducer and related circuit components.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have an LG LD651EBL 65 pint De-humidifier.

When it's running it really does a great job of removing moisture from the air so I'm thinking the compressor and refrigerant are both fine.
Let me first clarify that the air filter is spotlessly clean. Looking inside the unit, I see no build up of any kind. It looks clean front, back inside and out so I can rule out filter obstruction etc..

Where the problem comes in are in two areas.....

1).
The humidistat doesn't seem to be working properly. I have to set the humidity to 70% to get it to maintain 45% humidity in the room.
If I set it below that, it pretty much runs non stop. I could be wrong and it could be something else, so if you're knowledgeable with dehumidifiers can you suggest what else it might be? Is it possible the humidistat could need cleaning? I read somewhere that cleaning it with alcohol helps?

2).
Even with the humidistat set to 70%, the unit seems to cycle on and off too frequently.

I timed the intervals and it is 8 minutes ON, followed by 2 minutes 50 seconds OFF.....with a 15% fluctuation so it is not precisely times, but close.
Based on that, I would think it is a sensor based issue and not timer based?

Do you think cleaning the humidistat would help?
Do you think I need to replace the humidistat?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

First, make sure the room is closed. You cannot have open windows and doors or you will be trying to dehumidify the world.

Next, concrete floors should be sealed to make sure humidity is not wicking up through the pores, you will never get all of the humidity out. Same with the walls (drylok is a good brand - but this is not intended for floors).

Next, add a fan to the room to circulate the air or the dehumidifier will dehumidify the local area and shut off, then, diffusion will bring humid air back into the zone and start the humidifier again.

Then get back with your issues

http://www.drylok.com/

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
First, make sure the room is closed. You cannot have open windows and doors or you will be trying to dehumidify the world.
Wait...please tell me noone would actually do that?
Maybe I should have mentioned I have another dehumidifier that works perfectly in the same space?

Next, concrete floors should be sealed to make sure humidity is not wicking up through the pores, you will never get all of the humidity out. Same with the walls (drylok is a good brand - but this is not intended for floors).
Maybe I should have mentioned I have another dehumidifier that works perfectly in the same space?

Next, add a fan to the room to circulate the air or the dehumidifier will dehumidify the local area and shut off, then, diffusion will bring humid air back into the zone and start the humidifier again.
Then get back with your issues
http://www.drylok.com/
[/QUOTE]

I didn't mention it, but there is a large ceiling fan in the room and it is usually on when the dehumidifier is running for just that reason.

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
If there is nothing wrong with the transducer that senses humidity (no hysterisis issues, etc), it's likely a component failure related to it that is throwing off it's calibration. I'm not an expert, but dehumidifiers (and I have one) are relatively simple. Strip moisture out of the air by condensation on coils, the same way an air-conditioner strips moisture out of air to take heat out of it.

You stated the other aspects seem to be fine, and it's clean. As long as it has not lost any refrigerant (see a service professional or vendor) then the only thing left is the humidity transducer and related circuit components.
That gives me an idea....maybe I'll look into testing the transducer.
I do have equipment for detecting leaking CFC's and most refrigerants. When I take it apart I'll use it to "sniff" for any leaks.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Wait...please tell me noone would actually do that. Maybe I should have mentioned I have another dehumidifier that works perfectly in the same space?
I didn't mention it, but there is a large ceiling fan in the room and it is usually on when the dehumidifier is running for just that reason.[/QUOTE]

Disconnect your "bad" dehumidifier and check how well it runs. If the "bad" one is taking most of the load and trying to achieve a lower humidity than the "good one", of course it will appear to be working long. Also, even setting both to 45%, each will have its own interpretati9n of 45% unless they are carefully calibrated.