Degaussing coil construction

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
to prevent overloading the 200 watt unit be sure the coil is more than 100 ohms resistance. 130 ohms like the one I mentioned above would be ideal. google copper wire resistance to find charts that show wire gage and resistance per 1000 ft.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
To deGauss one weld takes less than 3 sec. I turn up the Variac to full output, place the coil over the weld, pull the trigger, hold the trigger while rotating the Variac knob to zero with the other hand.

I left less residual magnetizm in a weld (as determined with a boy-scout compass) using the Variac than by slowly moving the coil away from the weld.

Karenzee

Joined Mar 6, 2015
Hi Kermit2,

following your recommendation for 130 ohms would i still need the thermistor? (knowing that the power would be turned on maximum three seconds)

I forgot to ask but is there other types of windings for degaussing coils? (flat coils, or specific windings)

Thank you!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I forgot to ask but is there other types of windings for degaussing coils? (flat coils, or specific windings)

Thank you!
What are you trying to de-Gauss exactly?
For TV applications anything other than the coil itself is not needed, the duration needed is normally no longer than ~10secs.
Max.

Karenzee

Joined Mar 6, 2015
Hi MaxHeadRoom,

Message #1:

My grandfather had one many years ago (he said it was hula-hoop sized) for clockwork repair, i look for something similar.

Message #8:

the degaussing coil is for clockwork (swiss & east european), that my grandfather is repairing, as well being in use in his toolshop.