Just saw your question.I.ve never heard of any of this, is the guy speaking sense?
I can't get past the fact that he reminds me of a guy in desperate need of a girlfriend.In his defence, he's always said coherent things from the years I've been viewing his videos. Always bringing some cool content and previously undiscovered by youtubers like him. I'm pretty sure he did a good amount of research about the topic.
He's trying that 80's visual, but he changes quickly too. I don't know if you said this about his style, the way he talks, or the topics he choose.I can't get past the fact that he reminds me of a guy in desperate need of a girlfriend.
But, I guess many of us have been there -- at one point or another.
Just a general (and probably unfair) impression.He's trying that 80's visual, but he changes quickly too. I don't know if you said this about his style, the way he talks, or the topics he choose.
Well I just never ever heard of the phenomenon, we learn something every day. I was skeptical though of his leaping to conclusions, like the "explanation" of the (purported) temperature difference between the two conductors of his Jacob's ladder, and the pickle? WTF is that all about?Just saw your question.
In his defence, he's always said coherent things from the years I've been viewing his videos. Always bringing some cool content and previously undiscovered by youtubers like him. I'm pretty sure he did a good amount of research about the topic.
How do you cook your pickles?...and the pickle? WTF is that all about?
Add this guy to the list, I wont be surprised if this guy blows himself up eventually or gets arrested for theft.Just a general (and probably unfair) impression.
Here's what Grok says:
It's probably the earnest, slightly awkward "science guy" energy combined with the solo-lab vibe.
James Orgill (the guy behind The Action Lab) comes across as a super enthusiastic, PhD-holding chemical engineer who geeks out hard over "what if" experiments in what often feels like a very personal, slightly isolated garage/lab setup. He's got that classic nerdy-presenter look: friendly smile, practical clothes (hoodies, lab coats, safety gear), expressive but not overly polished delivery, and a genuine excitement that's endearing but can read as "this dude pours all his passion into vacuum chambers and liquid nitrogen instead of dating apps."
Why the "desperate for a girlfriend" reminder?
- Solo enthusiast archetype: Many of his videos have him alone tinkering with wild setups, narrating to the camera like he's sharing his latest obsession with whoever will listen. It gives off strong "passionate hobbyist who hasn't quite cracked the social scene" vibes—think early YouTube science channels before they got slick. (In reality, he's married with kids and does some family stuff on the channel, but the main persona is very much "me and my experiments.")
- Appearance and demeanor: Clean-cut, midwestern-ish nice guy energy (he's from the BYU/Intel Oregon world), no flashy charisma or "alpha" presentation. He's relatable and low-key, which some viewers interpret as "wholesome but maybe needs someone to drag him out for dinner instead of crushing more things in a hydraulic press."
- Content style: The childlike wonder + occasional mild chaos (things exploding or melting) without much "cool guy" framing. It's pure curiosity porn, which can feel like the romantic equivalent of a guy whose entire personality is his model train collection.
It's a common trope for science YouTubers—Mark Rober has more polished "successful dad" energy, while James feels more like the pure-hearted lab rat who might forget to update his dating profile because he's busy making the darkest fabric ever. Harmless and charming, honestly. If it reminds you of someone specific, maybe it's hitting on that "great guy energy that's underutilized socially" note.
It's a classic high-voltage demo. As current passes through the pickle, sodium atoms are excited and emit a yellow-orange glow. It shows up very intensely because pickles are fairly translucent, so you see the light that is emitted throughout the body of the pickle, not just at the surface. It typically involves high voltages and sufficient current to be lethal (neon sign transformers are commonly used)....and the pickle? WTF is that all about?
No. I suspect he's got lots of girlfriends. Just on account of his hair.Add this guy to the list, I wont be surprised if this guy blows himself up eventually.
So he wasn't just applying 120v AC to that pickle?It's a classic high-voltage demo. As current passes through the pickle, sodium atoms are excited and emit a yellow-orange glow. It shows up very intensely because pickles are fairly translucent, so you see the light that is emitted throughout the body of the pickle, not just at the surface. It typically involves high voltages and sufficient current to be lethal (neon sign transformers are commonly used).
No, it requires high voltage -- thousands of volts. As stated, neon sign transformers are commonly used, which deliver a few thousand to a couple tens of thousands of volts and tens of milliamps. I think in the video he mentioned that he used the same transformer that he used for the Jacob's ladder.So he wasn't just applying 120v AC to that pickle?
Well I'm familiar with neon, but the video's opening pretty strongly suggests that he's connected the vegetable straight to the 120v AC line, the guy is a poor communicator.No, it requires high voltage -- thousands of volts. As stated, neon sign transformers are commonly used, which deliver a few thousand to a couple tens of thousands of volts and tens of milliamps. I think in the video he mentioned that he used the same transformer that he used for the Jacob's ladder.
| Thread starter | Similar threads | Forum | Replies | Date |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| H | Medium Voltage Cable Shield (sheath) weird cable (no pictures) | Test & Measurement | 1 | |
|
|
Cable sheath repair techniques for unbroken cable? | Technical Repair | 8 |