Dead time between 2 switches

BramLabs

Joined Nov 21, 2013
Hello sir, i want to ask. How to manage the dead time between 2 switches so that the 2 switches won't turn ON at the same time ? Let's say, the switches (mosfet) are controlled by microcontroller using PWM.
Is it controlled by the microcontroller (By coding, such as apply 'delay' function) ? Or is it already implemented in the gate driver (let's say an IR2110 IC gate driver) ?

Thanks before.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Most gate drivers have some dead time implemented, some even have it adjustable. IR2110 doesn´t have it, since the two outputs are independently controlled.

BramLabs

Joined Nov 21, 2013
So, the 'dead time' can be achived by the circuit ? I thought it is achieved by coding in microcontroller. Thank sir for your information.
Btw, could you tell me, a common gate driver that has a 'dead time circuit' in it ?

Oh yeah, and i want to ask 2 more question, is the 'dead time' same as the 'propagation delay time' (such in the picture below. It's TLP250, a gate driver also, and i don't think that IC also has a dead time circuit).
tlp250.PNG

And then, by adding this kind of circuit, will it be a dead time using IR2110 ?
IR2110 - 2.png

Thanks so much.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So, the 'dead time' can be achived by the circuit ? I thought it is achieved by coding in microcontroller. Thank sir for your information.
Btw, could you tell me, a common gate driver that has a 'dead time circuit' in it ?

Oh yeah, and i want to ask 2 more question, is the 'dead time' same as the 'propagation delay time' (such in the picture below. It's TLP250, a gate driver also, and i don't think that IC also has a dead time circuit).
View attachment 113877

And then, by adding this kind of circuit, will it be a dead time using IR2110 ?
View attachment 113878

Thanks so much.

If you are using a PIC microcontroller with Enhanced CCP module, then you can select Half-bridge or Full Bridge and set dead time delay directly in the microcontroller. I don't know about dead time delays in other microcontrollers.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Motor control dead time ought to be implemented by the PWM module in the microcontroller.
Read the programming manual of the specific MCU to see how this is set up. If your MCU does not implement dead time then switch to one that does.

BramLabs

Joined Nov 21, 2013
If you are using a PIC microcontroller with Enhanced CCP module, then you can select Half-bridge or Full Bridge and set dead time delay directly in the microcontroller. I don't know about dead time delays in other microcontrollers.
Oh, okay sir, thank you so much for the information :)

Motor control dead time ought to be implemented by the PWM module in the microcontroller.
Read the programming manual of the specific MCU to see how this is set up. If your MCU does not implement dead time then switch to one that does.
Okay sir, thank you so much for the information ^^