DC Uninterruptible Power Supply

james211

Joined May 29, 2012
I'm curious if anyone can help me track down some parts or give me some advice. I have a Pepwave MaxTransit Duo cellular router that I use for work. Often times I have to run it off of batteries because I need to be completely mobile. When the batteries die, the unit takes about 10-15mins to reboot so I'd like to get some sort of mini DC UPS to use that will allow it to stay powered while I swap the battery. I found THIS UNIT on mini-box.com which I think could work, but it also seems a bit overkill (correct me if I'm wrong). The router works between 12-48v with a max power consumption of 18w(9.2nominal).

This is also an interesting find, anyone ever used a SuperCap based UPS?

Last edited:

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Do you have 2 Power-Input Connectors with "ORing" capability on your device ?
If you do, and you have 2 Batteries, plus an AC-Powered-Supply,
why do you need anything else ?

~15-Minutes to reboot ?!?!?! , I'd send it back.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you see the backup time for the mentioned board?
upsic-2403_backup time.png
With 18 watts at 12 volts, the current will be about 1.5 Amp, giving a backup time of 30 seconds.

Bertus

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Looking at the device I don't understand why you have to "swap" batteries. Since you can't charge the batteries anyway, why not just wire them in parallel to the device and increase the overall capacity?

james211

Joined May 29, 2012
Looking at the device I don't understand why you have to "swap" batteries. Since you can't charge the batteries anyway, why not just wire them in parallel to the device and increase the overall capacity?
I work in film production, and I use industry standard Anton Bauer batteries to power the router. I basically want to eliminate any downtime for the client so having the ability to swap out the battery without losing connectivity, while at the same time keeping the overall size minimized.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I work in film production, and I use industry standard Anton Bauer batteries to power the router. I basically want to eliminate any downtime for the client so having the ability to swap out the battery without losing connectivity, while at the same time keeping the overall size minimized.
Are you using V mount? You can get a dual plate and adapt that so you can swap batteries one at a time, or you can get something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...gineering_ml_120v_v_hot_swap_adapter_for.html

If you are using gold mount, you can adapt a camera plate that has hot swap.