dc motors

macataq

Joined Sep 15, 2007
hi
i recently picked up a few permanent DC motors at a farm auction, (they grouped a bunch of them together with the one i actually wanted) and i would like to know how to go about testing them to find out the voltage/amperage of these motors since they have been painted and there are no labels or stampings any where on them. only + and -
what equipment will i need to do this testing?
any help would be appreciated.

edit; here are pics

http://img143.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=64372_motor_122_765lo.jpg
http://img104.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=64371_motor_001_122_1063lo.jpg

thanx

Mac

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
There is no specific equipment for that. Your option here is to test it with several voltages.

Can you post detailed pictures of the motor, so we can see the type?

macataq

Joined Sep 15, 2007
hi thank you for responding
i have tried to attached images,but they are too big.
i erred in my previous post
the terminals are not marked + and - , but rather A1 and A2
with the A1 terminal also has "CW" (assuming this is clockwise)
stamped on it. dont know if this helps, but the motor is 4.5" DIA and 6.5" long
weighs 12. 25 lbs
any advice or assisatance is appreciated.

thanks again

Mac

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
It is going to be tough ask to determine the voltage and amperage ratings of any appliance
even transformers. the ratings are determined by the insulation ad heat handling of the appliance.
if u are having difficulty with uploading of images...try uploading them at a image hosting site and provide its link here.
Some experienced members here may be able to guess the ratings if u can tell what application were they intended for originally.

macataq

Joined Sep 15, 2007
hi
i have added pics, they seem to have went to my first post.
i do not know the original application for these motors.

thanx

MAC

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
From the pictures, one can most definitely tell they are motors. Unfortunately, that's about all the pictures tell.

I concur with Cumesoftware. Start with a small DC voltage and work your way up until the motor gets too warm. Then back up a notch and record the results.

macataq

Joined Sep 15, 2007
LOL Thing
thanks, i guess i will have to do that. wish i had a variable dc p/s
lugging batteries in and out of the house is a real pain.

Mac

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Not the kind of DC motors I would expect to find. Probably these are starting motors that operate at 12VDC, but it is a wild guess.

From the pictures, one can most definitely tell they are motors. Unfortunately, that's about all the pictures tell.

I concur with Cumesoftware. Start with a small DC voltage and work your way up until the motor gets too warm. Then back up a notch and record the results.
I need to add a few more points to that. This method is not very safe, as you may burn the motor by the means of an under voltage. To make sure, test it with a power supply capable of big currents (10A). If the motor rotates too slow or doesn't rotate at all, stop the test and increase the voltage.