DC motor phase drive - LM723 and SCR

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
A friend has a partially-failed baseball pitching machine, an older Jugs Jr. Pitching Machine. AC line powered, no transformer, DC motor. The controller has one LM723, two 2N6399 SCR's, three power diodes, one large white ceramic box resistor (no value yet), and three TO-92 devices. No big electrolytics. My guess is some kind of full-wave phase control similar to a TRIAC dimmer, possible based on motor current rather than output voltage, but I have not found a schematic.

The symptom is that the motor runs at or very near to its slowest speed throughout the entire adjustment range. With the motor disconnected, the voltage at the motor terminals varies from 22 to 110 V on a DC scale DMM.

A real schematic would be great, but if anyone has a 723+SCR circuit that is close, that would be a big help.

Thanks.

ak

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Sounds like the SCR bridge controllers made by KB drives for DC motors, many use them for T.M. motor controllers, in fact there are quite a few post here with the popular MC-60 T.M. schematic.
I have a schematics for both KB and MC-60 if needed.
Some simple ones have use the Triac 'Dimmer' followed by a bridge versions.
Max.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Here is the controller. Two diodes and two SCR's form a phase-control bridge, and the 3rd diode is back-EMF suppression. Between the two SCR cathodes and the two big diode anodes, the big white resistor is in series with the motor.

Basic motor specs are 90 Vdc and 3 A max.

If you have a schematic that you think is close (at least in concept), please post it.

Thanks.

ak
IMG_3154-r25.gif

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is what the common SCR bridge consists of in these drives, the bridge = 2 diodes, 2 SCR's and the reverse biased one in the bridge.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The schematics I have are not really that close to the apparent configuration of the one shown.
There doesn't appear to be that many components involved, it may be worth doing a little reverse engineering to get the commutation method used.
Is there any maker's ID on it anywhere?
Max.